Away is seeking a Senior Counsel, Commercial and Operations to join our Legal team. We are a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, the ideal candidate will have had experience in day-to-day legal support of significant areas of a quickly growing business, such as business operations, international expansion and marketing, as well as aspects of rapid retail growth. You will report into the Deputy General Counsel and this position will be based in Soho, New York City.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You'll Do:
- Be a legal advisor to teams at Away, including the Operations, Marketing teams, and Retail teams.
- Provide practical legal advice supporting business functions in the US and internationally, with an emphasis on business operations, retail store expansion and operations, and commercial transactions.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of commercial contracts, including SaaS agreements, consulting agreements, and service agreements.
- Provide legal escalation support to the Customer Experience team.
- Develop and maintain expert current knowledge on new developments and legal guidance relevant to our business.
- Develop and operationalize policies, training, templates and workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Adapt existing approaches for international expansion.
- Collaborate in the continuing development of Away’s commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach to commercial agreements
- Build legal policies, processes and resources for legal review and approval.
- Counsel and educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications and legal risks.
- Develop, implement and manage a contract management strategy that provides critical business intelligence to the organization
- Iterate on our existing contracts workflow system to capture, track, improve and share key metrics.
- Maintain and update form agreements, contract management systems, and other systems.
Who You Are:
- You have a J.D. from top law school with high academic achievement.
- You have admission to one or more state bars in good standing; NY Bar admission preferred.
- You have at least 7 years of directly relevant experience, including time both at a top law firm and in-house legal experience at a company that manufactures and sells physical products preferred.
- You have the ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment, independently setting priorities and driving results.
- You have the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside counsel, senior management and business partners.
- You have the desire and capacity to learn and teach.
- You have strong business acumen, excellent legal and practical judgment, and strong problem-solving skills.
- You focus on results with a high sense of urgency and demonstrated time management skills.
- You are hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- You’re passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team lunches and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!