Away is looking for a Product Development Director to lead the expansion of our soft goods assortment in Asia, serving as the liaison between the Asian marketplace and our headquarters in NYC. The Product Development Director will act as an on-the-ground resource to a broader product development team. They will assist in managing factory relationships, and ensuring timely launches to market at targeted retail prices and margin percentages.
The right candidate is excited to be an early employee at a recently-launched, venture-backed lifestyle brand and is excited about working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
This role reports to our USA Director of Product Development, Soft Goods.
What you’ll do:
- Understands the broader scope of growing a robust accessories business with both core and limited collections
- Communicate with USA PD team on daily development tasks
- Communicate with factory management directly when necessary, ensuring key issues are addressed in a timely manner and by the appropriate parties
- Actively facilitate bringing design concepts to commercialized product
- Actively identify areas for iteration, collaborate and recommend solutions to USA PD team
- Identify ways to save costs while maintaining design aesthetics and quality
- Liaise between raw material supplier & finished factory networks, noting areas for improvement, optimization, and innovation
- Review weekly work in progress reports, and proactively schedule factory visits to ensure quality is consistently provided. Travel will include Taiwan, China, Thailand, Vietnam, Korea, and Indonesia.
- Ensure product workflow is efficient and on time by actively facilitating calendars directly with factories
- Understand testing requirements for Away products and escalate issues to factory owners and USA PD, QA & QC team
- Partake in risk management, by managing counter-sourcing projects within Away’s factory matrix
Who you are:
- 10+ years of experience in accessories or soft goods product development
- Able to communicate clearly and seamlessly with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders
- Solution oriented - Able to identify problems, understand context, and confidently make recommendations
- Strong project management and communication skills
- Willing to travel for several days at a time, and actively communicate while on the go
- Composed and able to perform under stressful circumstances
- High attention to detail
- Well networked in the industry; both raw materials and finished goods
- Love to travel (but that's a given)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!