Away is looking for a Packaging Engineer to join our product development team to support packaging developments. You will be responsible for ensuring that all packaging is of a quality, design and utility to create an exceptional customer experience when they first receive their Away product. This role will be responsible for ensuring packaging is truly exceptional and meets design goals, protects our products & meets cost objectives. Packaging is a product at Away, so the ideal candidate will feel ownership over this product and relentlessly focus on improving and elevating it.
This position is based out of our headquarters in Soho and reports to Packaging Manager in Product Development and Sourcing.
What you will do:
- Working closely with the suppliers and other external partners (e.g. 3rd party lab, consultants) in order to support packaging development.
- Partner with Product Development, Packaging/Product Design, Supply Chain and Quality to support packaging innovation by proposing, developing, and implementing a variety of potential packaging options.
- Ensure construction & design of all packaging achieves design, function and quality criteria within cost & time objectives
- Validate that all technical drawings and package specifications identify all aspects required to define package to manufacturer
- Develop network of domestic and international suppliers and manage interactions with these suppliers
- Implement package tests for all projects
- Support continuous improvement program, including: QC & QA, sustainability, cost to manufacture and optimized size to ship
Who you are
- Bachelor's Degree with 2+ years of experience in packaging development. BS in Packaging Engineering or related technical discipline a plus
- Experience in consumer products or related industry with development experience in packaging. Bonus points for experience developing packaging for e-commerce / online delivery
- Possess a broad knowledge of packaging materials (including but not limited to paper, corrugated, dustbags, plastics), structures for consumer products & methods for construction (e.g., injection/extrusion molding, metal/vacuum/glass forming, assembly, etc)
- Superior problem solving skills with a proven ability to be an extremely flexible team member that can meet deadlines and excel in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Excellent at working with cross-functional teams with competing priorities. Particularly Creative, Operations & Product Development
- Excellent communication skills, to be able to deal effectively with all levels of the organization and suppliers
- Excellent organizational skills to manage the documentation, materials, samples and information
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!