We’re Away. We make thoughtful standards for modern travel. For us, getting Away means getting more out of every trip to come.
We’re currently seeking a Digital Product Designer to help create beautiful and highly functional products across all platforms. You’ll be part of the entire product cycle from start to finish and will be expected to contribute to all aspects of the design process—including research, wireframing/prototyping, and visual design. The ideal candidate is a highly talented creative individual who is able to work well under structured timelines to deliver stunning online experiences that delight our customers.
This position will report directly to our Director of UX Design and work from our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Own design explorations and executions that contribute to the overall design strategy and vision for Away’s digital products.
- Develop straightforward design approaches to complex design problems all while prioritizing seamless user journeys and end-to-end experiences for customers.
- Think strategically for long-term impact while understanding and taking into account business and technical constraints.
- Create wireframes, user flows, sitemaps and mockups to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas that are on brief and on time.
- Deliver clear prototypes that can be rapidly shared with key stakeholders and/or customers for user testing.
- Effectively communicate conceptual ideas, design rationale and the specifics of user-centered design process to cross-functional key stakeholders.
- Collaborate closely with product managers, researchers, engineers, and other relevant business owners throughout the entire design and development cycle.
- Advocate for a scalable design system and effective design documentation.
- Understand agile methodology and apply this mindset to all aspects of your work.
Who you are:
- 4-6 years of experience bringing digital products to life (ideally for e-comm or startups).
- A solid portfolio of product work that can speak to both your UX and visual design skills.
- Able to pitch, educate, and define your design rationale to key stakeholders—you can articulate the ‘why’ and lead discussions around your process, explorations, and conclusions.
- Able to translate stakeholder goals, user research, and complex user flows into clean, usable UIs.
- Solid and up to date understanding of best practices, developments and trends in web, mobile and iOS design.
- Ego-less and objective. You receive feedback well and can iterate on your designs within a team, no matter how attached to them you are.
- Competence in Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Zeplin, InVision, and any other prototyping tools of your choice.
- A desire to travel and understand why others do too.
You’ll Love Working at Away Because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team meals and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!