We're looking for a Director of Executive Communications to manage strategic communications for Away’s co-founders. You’ll work directly with the co-founders of the brand, Steph Korey and Jen Rubio, on all communications, content, and messaging to further expand their personal profiles in a way that drives the business forward.
This is a crucial role in translating our founders’ passion, personalities, and points of view into a cohesive and compelling messaging strategy as our brand’s audience continues to expand to millions of travelers around the world—and as our team grows to hundreds of talented people looking to transform travel. You will report directly to the Senior Director of Communications & Social Impact and work from our headquarters in Soho, NYC.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with our PR and Internal Communications teams, as well as various external agencies, to translate what’s top of mind for our founders (individually and separately) into a thoughtful comms strategy.
- Ideate and pitch stories and content that communicate the founders’ points of view as travelers, entrepreneurs, influencers, and business leaders, developing creative strategies and narratives to communicate our vision and plans to a global audience.
- Further position the Away founders as thought leaders by securing an ongoing cadence of (internal and external) speaking engagements, media interviews (digital / print, TV, radio, and podcast), branded partnership content, and other communications tactics.
- Develop a framework for vetting inbound media and partnership opportunities for the founders.
- Create and execute a social media and original content strategy to leverage the founders’ platforms across Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Medium.
- Oversee all (internal and external) appearances for the co-founders from guiding logistics to crafting clear, well-researched talking points, to facilitating briefings to ensure executives are thoroughly prepared executives for both press opportunities and other public speaking engagements.
- Accompany the founders at conferences, events, and appearances as necessary.
- On occasion, train and prepare additional company C-Suite spokespeople for public speaking engagements, media interviews, and other opportunities as well as manage materials that support this work.
Who You Are:
- You have at least 8 years of experience at a public relations agency, as a senior member of a public individual’s communications team, or experience as a journalist at a media publication.
- You have demonstrated experience developing brand platforms and narratives for senior leaders, and turning these narratives into effective media coverage.
- You know your audience. Whether you’re speaking to CNBC about our company growth or to Vogue about style that travels well, you know how to translate the voice of the brand and the founders into something people will listen to.
- You’re creative and business-minded and know how to talk to both sides of the table. Sometimes at the same time.
- You are a big picture thinker with attention to detail. You’ll have a clear line of sight into everything going on in the organization and can put that into a framework of founder communications.
- You’re aware of the latest trends in media and culture and have a wide network of media and brand contacts in both domestic and international markets.
- You have excellent writing and visual presentation skills. Your writing skills must be impeccable and you must be a clear, concise communicator, with samples to share.
- Ability to confidently interact with senior leadership and provide timely feedback and advice.
- Experience managing several projects and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintaining positivity and poise in even the most stressful situations.
- Ability to work with international teams and quickly understand and account for cultural differences.
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!