Away is a global lifestyle brand that is on a mission to create thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Legal Operations Manager to help build the structure for the Legal team to support our fast-growing company at scale.
You must bring a design-and-build mindset to identify needs, suggest solutions and implement them with minimal oversight. To be successful, you’ll work to deeply understand Away’s business, how the Legal team’s work fits into our business and cross-functional projects, and how you can directly and positively impact our team’s work. The ideal candidate is someone who has experience creating and managing processes and projects and measuring, interpreting and acting on department data; someone who thrives in a lean, unstructured environment, communicates internally and externally with ease and gleefully seizes ambiguity and opportunity to drive meaningful results.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for the position.
What You'll Do:
- Identify process improvement opportunities by developing a comprehensive understanding of department workflows, best practices, and current bottlenecks
- Provide project management support for key initiatives led or supported by the Legal team
- Define and drive strategic and operational initiatives with on-time and on-budget results
- Report on key operational and substantive metrics for the department that will better inform decision-making
- Develop and present on monthly and quarterly business metrics and provide operational analysis through reports and dashboards.
- Identify, implement, and own legal department tools to streamline new or existing practices (e.g., contract management system), as well as manage design, rollout, and training for new systems
- Develop knowledge management systems and practices to ensure better communications within the department as well as with the broader team
- Monitor outside counsel for quality assurance, timeliness, compliance with expectations and billing requirements, and progress against goals and budget
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including marketing, product development, creative, finance, people operations, project management and more.
- Conduct training and create written materials for cross-functional teams on legal processes and tools
- Coordinate Legal team communications, meetings and events
- Administer and process employee equity grants and related transactions
- Manage foreign qualifications, good standing requirements, and other issues related to Away’s global legal entities
Who You Are:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of directly relevant work experience, with strong preference for corporate paralegal and/or project management experience
- Master planner skills: you’re skilled at juggling multiple priorities at one time and keeping track of deadlines without missing a step
- Service oriented experience: you’re a people person who is systematic and trustworthy, so you’ll keep our Legal team informed and keep information confidential
- Superior communication skills: you have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills with an acute ability to listen attentively and communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization.
- Exhaustively meticulous nature: you have an unrelenting attention to detail leaving nothing for chance while understanding what deserves your immediate attention and what can wait until tomorrow or next week
- A team player attitude: you’re a collaborative team player who shows respect for the views and contributions of others while building team spirit across the department
- Adaptability: you’re at ease in a fast-paced environment and you’re able to change direction rapidly when priorities shift and personalities change
- Self-starter mentality: you have an understanding of current project needs and when it’s time to execute on crucial tasks
- Result driven mindset: you are conscientious and persistent about performing timely, high quality crucial tasks while never hesitating to ask for more when you are done
- Demonstrated success in a leading role in developing and implementing successful processes and systems in a dynamic environment, preferably for a team inside a rapidly growing company. You can drive data-driven results without much hand-holding.
- Experience in developing, implementing, and using legal department technology solutions (e.g., Ironclad contract management, e-billing and matter management, G-suite (Gmail, Google docs, etc.), e-signature)
- Hard working with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” for the second consecutive year, one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” one of LinkedIn’s “Top Startups,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.”
We’re building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!