We're looking for a passionate product strategist to lead the strategy and execution of new travel products for Away. We launched in 2016 with our sights set on improving every part of the travel experience: we started with luggage, selling over 1,000,000 suitcases in less than three years, and established ourselves as a brand committed to making travel more accessible and more enjoyable. As we expand our reach globally, we’re taking on even more product categories to make the perfect version of everything you need to travel seamlessly. Our Head of Lifestyle Accessories will be a category leader who owns the research, strategy, and execution of our new non-luggage products. This role will report to the co-founder/Chief Brand Officer and is based in our headquarters in Soho, New York.
The ideal candidate is an experienced merchandiser, has a strong instinct for product which is backed by data and insights, and is passionate about thoughtfully building a travel brand. This role will report to our co-founder/Chief Brand Officer and is based in our Soho, NYC headquarters.
What You'll Do:
- Bring a strong perspective of how new products can drive our brand and company forward using knowledge of trends, the competitive landscape, and consumer insights
- Establish a long-term strategic vision for new travel accessories
- Leverage existing relationships and expertise to determine our development and go-to-market strategy across categories
- Work cross-functionally to conceptualize brand positioning and evolution as we launch new products
- Determine our development and sourcing strategies for each category and work with existing teams to build out necessary capabilities
- Manage product assortment and pricing strategies across channels and product lines
- Work closely with marketing and creative teams to launch on-brand products cohesively
- Define and manage the category product calendar and align across all teams
- Work closely with finance to build forecasts related to our product strategy
- Champion our consumers, our product vision, and our unrelenting commitment to thoughtful, innovative design
Who You Are:
- You have 5+ years of directly relevant experience in bringing new products to life in a merchandising or product development capacity
- You know what it takes to build something from scratch—you have experience taking products from insights to launch, ideally in a variety of functions
- You’re personally passionate about this category: you’re on top of all the consumer trends, brands, and products across the travel landscape
- You have the ability to work cross-functionally (as well as up, down and across the organization) to champion your vision for the category roadmap
- You have the ability to make strategic decisions based on insights from multiple data sources
- You’re an entrepreneurial leader who inspires and motivates—not just your direct reports, but across the organization
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more…! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!