Away is seeking a Marketing Director to serve as Away’s first hire in Australia, overseeing all in-market marketing and strategy. You’ll be working closely with many cross-functional teams based in our NYC headquarters, including PR, marketing (brand, social, influencer, and paid acquisition), creative, as well as adjacent functions (fulfillment and transportation, digital product, and CX), to drive growth in the region. This role reports to our NYC-based VP, International and will be based in Sydney or Melbourne, Australia.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll be the voice of our Australian customer and lead all our marketing initiatives and operations in the region. As each region in Australia evolves, you’ll be able to help contribute significantly to how we can adjust our voice and tactics for each as we grow.
- Together with our VP, International, you will own the Australian roadmap and P&L while partnering with other country / regional heads to achieve our overall international goals
- You’ll develop and execute local marketing strategies that adhere to Away’s core brand DNA while also understanding how to tweak these strategies accordingly in order to successfully acquire and retain the Australian customer and build brand loyalty locally
- You’ll develop strategic partnerships that you identify as the best opportunities for Away.
- You will work cross-functionally with our global team in New York City to scale the Australian business and partner with those functional leads and the VP, International to determine if / when certain functions should be resourced in a dedicated or local capacity (e.g., CX, marketing, operations, creative, retail, etc.)
- You’ll manage the daily and long term needs of your business. No project is too big or too small to handle.
Who You Are:
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in marketing, strategy, or international expansion, including at least 2 years in a Australia-focused operating role for a consumer brand with cross-functional responsibility
- A deep understanding of how to establish brand awareness from scratch and gain cultural credibility in Australia, ideally rooted in extended time spent in-market
- Familiarity with both e-commerce and physical retail operations
- A track record of hiring and developing high-performing teams
- Must have existing work authorization in Australia
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have generous PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more...! You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!