We’re looking for a boundary-pushing, collaborative and highly experienced Creative Director, Brand to join the Away team. This role will directly oversee our internal Brand Design, Art Direction and Copy teams, from concept through to execution—ensuring these three pillars are working in lock-step to execute thoughtful, innovative and goal-oriented creative work. Additionally, The Creative Director, Brand will be the key Creative point-person to liaise with external agencies to roll out integrated marketing campaigns across above-the-line and below-the-line initiatives. The ideal candidate has a strong design background, is self-motivated, inspirational, and maintains high personal standards with an exceptional understanding of all marketing channels.
This role reports to the VP of Creative Strategy and will work from our headquarters in SoHo, NY.
What you’ll do:
- Strategically push the creative integrity of all campaigns and deliverables to cement Away as a global brand leader, while meeting the business objectives of the brief.
- Evolve, own and iterate on the brand visual identity and voice for multi-channel campaigns that touch all areas of the customer experience—including social, retail, web, the product and packaging experience, experiential and more.
- Own Away’s brand style guidelines and lead any rebranding efforts as needed—constantly ensuring our visual identity and voice are representative of our brand positioning.
- Guide the creative process from start to finish—working closely with Production, Creative Services, and UX, while ensuring even the most minute detail is thought through and ladders up to the larger creative strategy.
- Partner closely with Brand Marketing, Growth and other key stakeholders throughout the business to develop effective creative that meets cross-functional needs without sacrificing brand standards and innovation.
- Become an expert in the business to ensure strategic creative direction that advances the brand and is continuously iterative to keep up with Away’s rapid growth and ambition.
- Work closely with external creative agencies to ensure all work produced aligns with the Away brand and is scalable across all channels.
- Direct photo and video shoots to ensure flawless execution of concept while always looking for opportunities to innovate and perfect.
- Operate at a leadership level while managing a growing team of creatives across design, art direction and copy—ensuring a high standard of execution while never missing an opportunity to mentor and motivate.
- Take an active role in the professional growth of your team, ensuring they have the resources and opportunity to expand their skills.
- Attract and recruit exceptional talent to continue expanding your teams bandwidth, skill set and expertise.
Who you are:
- 12+ years experience in brand creative direction with an emphasis in design and art direction—agency experience a plus.
- A compelling portfolio of distinctive work that elevates a brand’s creative experience.
- A creative visionary—people are inspired by and excited to work with you.
- You operate at a leadership level with the ability to both mentor and manage.
- Extensive knowledge of channel best practices—you never push creative work forward at the expense of business goals.
- Experienced in and comfortable working cross-functionally—especially with Brand and Growth teams.
- Strong organizational skills, keen eye for detail and able to manage multiple projects at once.
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment where deadlines, priorities and initiatives change frequently—stability means you’re not innovating.
- Exceptional presentation skills with the ability to clearly and articulately explain your rationale and evoke excitement with your recommendations.
- Experience leading photo and video production.
- Expert in the Adobe Suite, G-Suite, Keynote, and any other relevant tools needed.
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team meals and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!