We’re Away. We make thoughtful standards for modern travel. For us, getting Away means getting more out of every trip to come. We're looking for an experienced and proactive Senior UX Researcher to join our team. You’ll be a trusted partner who brings actionable insights to how we ideate, build and iterate the best-in-class digital products and experiences. You not only love and excel at the craft of research and its various methodologies, you impact the business by being an advocate for the users and evangelize user research across the company.
This position will report directly to our Director of UX Design and work from our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Lead an extensive UX research program to proactively inform upcoming optimizations and identify research studies that support our company’s mission to enable seamless and enjoyable travel.
- Influence the design direction of digital projects, drawing from ongoing user research to guide consideration towards the best opportunities for the initiative at hand.
- Conduct day-to-day research projects through a variety of UX methodologies from start to finish – identifying objectives, planning, recruiting, facilitating, analyzing, documenting, and presenting.
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, engineers during different stages of product development lifecycle; capture and synthesize user insights as an input into strategy and design solutions.
- Translate research findings into actionable archetypes, design principles and considerations, including integration of quantitative data and qualitative research findings from Data and Customer Insights teams.
- Act as a bridge between the company and UX Research; communicate research insights and promote experiment results effectively to a cross-functional audience via presentations, reports, workshops, etc.
- Build out our own research toolkit including but not limited to interviews, surveys, concept studies, usability testing, ethnographic observations, card sorting, participatory design, etc.
Who you are:
- BS or MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science or related field.
- 5+ years of relevant user research experience (ideally within a product development organization and/or an e-commerce environment).
- Be a people person; adept at reading people and empathizing with the users.
- Be nimble and flexible; happy to work with a range of timelines and pivot when things don’t go as planned.
- Confident in both autonomous and collaborative working style and relationship.
- Competence in various research software tools (usertesting, validately, etc.).
- Knowledge of design and prototyping experience is a plus (invision, framer, light coding, etc.).
- Self-driven with an entrepreneurial spirit, you’re excited to be our first full time UX researcher!
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team meals and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!