We’re Away. We make thoughtful standards for modern travel. For us, getting Away means getting more out of every trip to come.
We're looking for an experienced and strategic Digital Design Lead to join our team. You’ll be the champion in creating compelling digital experiences that visually define the brand while ensuring we hit business and initiative objectives. You are the eyes and voice of visual design excellence and the key to delivering cohesive and on-brand campaign executions across the digital ecosystem.
This position will report directly to our Director of UX Design and work from our headquarters in SoHo, NYC.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and oversee day-to-day web and email initiatives from concept to launch—including all digital executions of our 360 integrated marketing campaigns (IMCs).
- Define an ownable look and feel and establish a scalable visual design system for all our digital touch points.
- Design innovative and engaging digital experiences that are user-centric and performance-driven, and with a strategic long-term lens to ensure everything we create is with scalability in mind.
- Champion attention to detail and review all deliverables and staging environments with an exacting eye.
- Facilitate effective cross-functional collaboration and communication with teams throughout the company—such as Brand, Growth, Digital Product, and Engineering, as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring all digital work strategically aligns with the brief and Away’s overall brand identity and positioning—working closely with the full Creative team, including Creative Services, Brand Design, Copy, Art Direction, and Project Management.
- Partner closely with Digital Product Design and UX Research on proactive discipline knowledge sharing to help lead a holistic UX and Visual Design team practice.
- Manage and mentor a growing team of Digital Designers with a thoughtful balance to project delegation and their career growth.
Who you are:
- 5-8 years of designing web and/or e-commerce experiences, ideally for startups or agencies. An understanding of e-commerce best practices is required.
- A strong, dynamic portfolio of projects that have elevated a brand’s digital experience.
- The energy and drive to deliver the best design in the industry with a passion to the craft—an advocate for design excellence.
- Deeply familiar with the digital design process and adaptable to a range of timeline and feasibility constraints.
- A true player’s coach, comfortable with both execution and oversight responsibilities.
- Competence in Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Zeplin, InVision, and any other animation/prototyping tools of your choice.
- A desire to travel and understand why others do too.
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team meals and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a modern lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to transform travel.
Since our launch in February 2016, we have become one of the fastest growing consumer brands in the world. We have sold millions of travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to nearly 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
In just over three years, we have already been twice named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies,” one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Startup.” We have also raised more than $156M in total equity funding to fuel our next phase of growth.
Today, we’re expanding into new travel product categories including apparel, wellness and lifestyle accessories as well as investing in the growth of physical retail in the US and abroad--with the plan to open 50 new stores in the next three years. Sound like something you want to be part of? We’re hiring!