Away is seeking a forward-thinking senior software engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will be a passionate thought-leader that is adept at creating elegant, future-facing experiences, and technologies. They will be developing technology solutions, working closely with a variety of stakeholders.
The role will report to an Engineering Manager, and is based in our Soho, New York headquarters.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan new features for Away web properties, including both e-commerce and editorial experiences.
- Write robust, well-designed software that delivers great value to the business, is easy to maintain, and well tested.
- Push and refine our technology, user experience and creative practices.
- Connect our online experiences with our retail experiences.
- Help us transition our front-end from Backbone to React, Redux, and next.js.
- Extend our Solidus based (Ruby on Rails) backend application.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Skilled at RESTful API design.
- Experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with Spree and/or Solidus.
- Experience with AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers.
You’ll love working at Away because:
- We travel. We encourage you to take time to recharge outside of the office. You’ll have flexible PTO to explore new places and access to Away products to ensure your travels are seamless. And once you’re here for three years, you’ll earn a sabbatical and a bonus to take a well-deserved trip.
- We’re not just employees. We’re people. We offer insurance coverage (health, vision, and dental), tax savings plans for retirement, dependent care, commuter benefits, monthly reimbursements to incentivize you to work out, generous and inclusive parental leave, and a kitchen stocked with organic snacks and coffee.
- We’ll invest in your career. Our company’s growing quickly, and we’ll give you the opportunity to do the same. You’ll have access to a number of professional development opportunities so that you can keep up with the company’s evolving needs.
- We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is, too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, our new office in downtown Manhattan, and more, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their best selves to work.
- We offer competitive compensation packages. We deeply value the talent our team brings to the table, and believe that fair and equitable total compensation packages are part of our commitment to everyone who works here.
- And so much more. You can bring your dog to work. We’ll give you money every month to grab coffee with coworkers. We have weekly team breakfasts and regular happy hours. We organize ways to give back to our local communities.
Away (www.awaytravel.com) is a global lifestyle brand creating thoughtful products designed to make travel more seamless. Since our launch in February 2016, we have sold more than a million travel products, grown from a team of four to over 250, expanded shipping to almost 40 countries, opened seven stores across two countries, and launched several new products and experiences that are inspiring more people to travel the world. And we know that’s just the beginning!
We have been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” for the second consecutive year, one of TIME’s “50 Most Genius Companies,” one of LinkedIn’s “Top Startups,” and a Forbes “Next Billion Dollar Start-Up.”
We’re building the #1 travel brand in the world -- come join us on this incredible adventure!