TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage mental health tech startup seeking a software engineer with 5+ years of building, and prior experience at an early-stage fast-growing startup, to lead our frontend and backend web development. You’ll be one of the first 5 employees at a fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is turning therapy from an art to a science. We’re a venture-backed startup, on a mission to create the highest quality mental health care franchise in the world.
Every day, 100 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving care based on science. That’s why we’re building a new mental health care system driven by data, where patients receive individualized care, clinicians deliver proven treatments, and insurance pays for outcomes not sessions.
While the rest of our industry is optimizing for quantity, we are laser focused on quality. Leveraging our data platform, we recently landed contracts with 6 of the top 7 insurance companies, which unlock access to 111M Americans and pay higher rates than any competitor.
We have raised $5.7mm from top executives at Google, PayPal, Lyft, and AirBnB and investors who previously funded Square, Instacart, Twilio, GrubHub, StitchFix, OpenDoor, and SpaceX. We were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura) and are based in San Francisco, CA. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Role:
- Title: Founding Web Engineer (Full-Stack)
- Location: San Francisco (required)
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for a seasoned full-stack web engineer to take ownership of our frontend and backend systems, to change the way therapy is delivered across the United States.
You’ll be building on top of our existing MVP web application using modern technologies like ReactJS, ChakraUI, TypeScript, Victory Charts, and GatsbyJS.
As one of the first 5 employees at our fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup, you’ll work alongside our Founding Mobile Engineer, who will own iOS and Android mobile development.
This will be a senior role within the company, where you will be leading our frontend and backend development and strategy.
The Technical Challenge:
We are building the largest digital dataset of an individual’s mental health using data from their personal IoT devices (e.g. smartphones, wearables, laptops, smart homes, connected cars).
To do this, we need to build scalable and reliable systems to ingest and process that data, and create innovative user experiences for therapists and patients to get better sooner.
100 million people are currently struggling with a mental health issue in the US alone. This is a problem with a huge scale, and even bigger engineering opportunity.
These are the 4 main challenges your teams will be tackling:
- Data Engineering: Processing, structuring, and storing data from patients’ connected devices (e.g. smartphones, wearables), for Data Scientists to build models upon them.
- Product Development: Meticulously designing and developing the user experience for the patients and providers using our products to save and change lives.
- Integrations: Building new integrations that allow high-quality data to be consistently sourced and aggregated from smartphones, wearables, and more.
- Security and Compliance: Ensuring Aware’s platform is HIPAA compliant, and securing very personal data with best-in-class data privacy protocols.
At this stage, we’re looking for a rockstar. Someone ready to hit the ground running with our existing web applications and build entire new ones from scratch. You should be someone who is excited about the opportunity to have autonomy over mission-critical user interfaces and take the Aware experience to the next level with your contributions.
- Lead all-things frontend and backend web development at the company.
- Build on top of our existing web application and APIs.
- Create smooth and secure interfaces for our patients and providers to use.
- Develop beautiful data visualizations for displaying patient biomarkers.
- Build HIPAA compliant backend systems for our patients and providers.
- Scale our APIs and platform as we onboard more patients and add more data.
- Own decisions about technologies and frameworks to use.
- 5+ years of experience as a software engineer.
- Prior startup experience at a fast-growing, early-stage, technology company.
- 2+ years of experience building frontend web applications for a large user base.
- 2+ years of experience building backends for high-traffic mobile and web applications.
- Expertise with cloud services, e.g., AWS, Google Cloud, Azure.
- Expertise with styling responsive web apps for mobile, desktop, and tablet experiences.
- Expertise with PostgreSQL or similar relational databases.
- Experience with building data pipelines and supporting data scientists.
- Experience with using Big Data tools, e.g., Spark, Hadoop, Presto.
- Experience with being on-call and supporting mission critical systems.
- Experience with “Our Stack” (below) of current technologies is preferred, not required.
- Experience building mobile applications for a healthcare company, including handling sensitive patient data and ensuring HIPAA compliance.
- Love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-moving startup and owning all things frontend.
- React Native for UIs
- Native libraries for data collection
- iOS - Swift and Objective-C
- Android - Java
- HTTP APIs - FastAPI
- Application Database - PostgreSQL
- Data Platform Database - TimeScale which is PostgreSQL-based
- Infrastructure - Terraform, AWS
- Orchestration - Ansible
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 100% coverage of premium medical/dental/vision insurance starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
- Growth: We believe it is not where we are, but where we are headed, that matters. We are always improving and never complacent; eager to reflect on and learn from our mistakes.
- Relentless: We pride ourselves on persistence, creatively push the limits of what is possible, and ‘find a way no matter what’ after others have given up.
- Quality First: We choose quality over speed every day of the week. Because we care deeply about the people we serve, we meticulously craft every detail of our patient experience.
- First Principles: We think from first principles, not by analogy. We curiously question and scientifically test assumptions to arrive at more creative solutions.
- Data Driven: We see numbers as a currency for trust. Whenever possible, we use them in place of words to create shared understanding and make objective decisions.
- Radical Candor: We embrace difficult conversations, communicate openly what we are thinking and feeling, and build trust through transparency with one another.
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.