TL;DR: Fast-growing mental health tech startup seeking an experienced engineering leader with prior experience hiring and managing engineers in a high-growth and early-stage environment. In this role, you will build and lead Aware’s software engineering organization. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is turning therapy from an art to a science. We’re a venture-backed startup, on a mission to create the highest quality mental health care franchise in the world.
Every day, 100 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving care based on science. That’s why we’re building a new mental health care system driven by data, where patients receive individualized care, clinicians deliver proven treatments, and insurance pays for outcomes not sessions.
While the rest of our industry is optimizing for quantity, we are laser focused on quality. Leveraging our data platform, we recently landed contracts with 6 of the top 7 insurance companies, which unlock access to 111M Americans and pay higher rates than any competitor.
We have raised $5.7mm from top executives at Google, PayPal, Lyft, and AirBnB and investors who previously funded Square, Instacart, Twilio, GrubHub, StitchFix, OpenDoor, and SpaceX. We were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura) and are based in San Francisco, CA. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Role:
- Title: Founding Head of Engineering
- Location: San Francisco (required)
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for a seasoned engineering leader to help reinvent therapy.
In this Founding Head of Engineering role, you will permanently change the way therapy is delivered across the United States. Your team will be building on top of an existing MVP and developing mobile and web applications that allow therapists to deliver higher-quality care to their patients.
You will be responsible for building and scaling our engineering organization. This will involve helping recruit top talent, working with our CEO to set product strategy, defining our engineering management culture, and managing day-to-day performance.
This will be a leadership role within the company, and a career-defining role for the right person.
The Technical Challenge:
We are building the largest digital dataset of an individual’s mental health using data from their personal IoT devices (e.g. smartphones, wearables, laptops, smart homes, connected cars).
To do this, we need to build scalable and reliable systems to ingest and process that data, and create innovative user experiences for therapists and patients to get better sooner.
100 million people are currently struggling with a mental health issue in the US alone. This is a problem with a huge scale, and even bigger engineering opportunity.
These are the 5 main challenges your teams will be tackling:
- Data Science and Engineering: Processing and structuring data from patients’ connected devices for Researchers and Data Scientists to build predictive models upon.
- Mobile App Development: Collecting data from the operating systems of smartphones, and remaining nimble to the impact of new versions of iOS and Android.
- Product Development: Meticulously designing and developing the user experience for the patients and providers using our products to save and change lives.
- Integrations: Building new integrations that allow high-quality data to be consistently sourced and aggregated from smartphones, wearables, and more.
- Security and Compliance: Ensuring Aware’s platform is HIPAA compliant, and securing very personal data with best-in-class data privacy protocols.
At this stage, we’re looking for a trailblazer. Someone ready to create the charters for these organizations and make strategic hires to tackle these challenges effectively. You should be someone who is excited about learning every part of our system and hiring the right talent to bring them up to your standards of excellence.
- Hire top-tier engineers and experienced engineering leaders alongside you.
- Work with the CEO to set product strategy and engineering roadmaps.
- Define processes that are lean and effective at executing on our strategy.
- Create a high-performing and collaborative engineering culture.
- Be an example of engineering excellence with your processes and mindset.
- Experience hiring and managing engineers on a high-growth & early-stage team.
- 3+ years of experience as an engineering manager with direct reports.
- 2+ years of experience interviewing and hiring new engineers onto your team.
- 1+ years of experience managing out weak performers; firing and rehiring as needed.
- Experience with building a data-centric, consumer-facing, Web & Mobile product.
- 1+ years of experience overseeing engineering managers.
- Experience building HIPAA compliant products and systems.
- Experience managing data scientists and data engineers.
- Love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-moving startup and owning all things engineering.
- React Native for UIs
- Native libraries for data collection
- iOS - Swift and Objective-C
- Android - Java
- HTTP APIs - FastAPI
- Application Database - PostgreSQL
- Data Platform Database - TimeScale which is PostgreSQL-based
- Infrastructure - Terraform, AWS
- Orchestration - Ansible
This role is *not* for you if:
- You're looking for a 9-5 job. We’re an early-stage startup, and we all work hard to push toward our ambitious goals.
- You ask for permission rather than forgiveness. We're looking for someone who will take ownership of any situation, whether it's part of their normal responsibilities or another hat they've donned at Aware.
- You're not comfortable with a bit of chaos. Each day is different, and projects and priorities often shift. We're looking for an adaptable team player who is comfortable and confident in the face of change.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 100% coverage of premium medical/dental/vision insurance starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
- Growth: We believe it is not where we are, but where we are headed, that matters. We are always improving and never complacent; eager to reflect on and learn from our mistakes.
- Relentless: We pride ourselves on persistence, creatively push the limits of what is possible, and ‘find a way no matter what’ after others have given up.
- Quality First: We choose quality over speed every day of the week. Because we care deeply about the people we serve, we meticulously craft every detail of our patient experience.
- First Principles: We think from first principles, not by analogy. We curiously question and scientifically test assumptions to arrive at more creative solutions.
- Data Driven: We see numbers as a currency for trust. Whenever possible, we use them in place of words to create shared understanding and make objective decisions.
- Radical Candor: We embrace difficult conversations, communicate openly what we are thinking and feeling, and build trust through transparency with one another.
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.