TL;DR: Fast-growing mental health tech startup seeking a business operations generalist with 3+ years of prior experience in an operations role at an early-stage venture-backed startup. In this role, you'll work alongside our Head of Operations and Head of Therapy to help manage both internal (team-facing) and external (customer-facing) company operations. You’ll be one of the first 5 employees at a fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is turning therapy from an art to a science. We’re a venture-backed startup, on a mission to create the highest quality mental health care franchise in the world.
Every day, 100 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving care based on science. That’s why we’re building a new mental health care system driven by data, where patients receive individualized care, clinicians deliver proven treatments, and insurance pays for outcomes not sessions.
While the rest of our industry is optimizing for quantity, we are laser focused on quality. Leveraging our data platform, we recently landed contracts with 6 of the top 7 insurance companies, which unlock access to 111M Americans and pay higher rates than any competitor.
We have raised $5.7mm from top executives at Google, PayPal, Lyft, and AirBnB and investors who previously funded Square, Instacart, Twilio, GrubHub, StitchFix, OpenDoor, and SpaceX. We were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura) and are based in San Francisco CA. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Role:
- Title: Business Operations Manager
- Location: San Francisco (required)
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for an analytical operations generalist to help reinvent therapy.
In this role, you’ll work alongside our Head of Operations and Head of Therapy to help manage both internal (team-facing) and external (customer-facing) company operations. This will involve:
- Working with our Head of Therapy to oversee the operational aspects of delivering mental health care across our national network.
- Working with our Head of Operations to empower our growing team with the information, resources, and support they need to thrive.
You’ll be one of the first 5 employees at our fully-funded and commercially-flourishing startup. No day will be the same, as everyday you’ll be tasked with quickly and creatively solving a new problem. You'll wear many hats and have an opportunity to learn from all sides of the business.
At Aware Healthcare we obsess over quality-of-care for our patients, and bring a level of attention to detail to our care experience that has never been seen before in mental health care. While historically our industry has been content with variable quality from provider-to-provider and session-to-session, at Aware we promise a consistent five-star experience for all patients. The right Operations Manager will be energized by Aware’s culture of excellence, and love the idea of consistently setting a higher quality bar by crossing every “t” and dotting every “i”.
This role is for someone who:
- Prefers hands-on execution >> to >> big-picture strategy.
- Is more of a rapid-fire do-er >> than a >> slow methodical thinker.
- Is more of a scrappy hustler >> than an >> executive manager.
This will be a mid-level role within the company and a career-defining role for the right person.
- Work side-by-side with the Head of Operations and Chief Clinical Officer.
- Help manage both internal (team-facing) and external (customer-facing) operations.
- Wear new hats as opportunities arise (you’ll be an athlete rather than a surgeon!)
- Be the most detail-oriented and hands-on person at the company.
- Serving as an “owner” by proactively identifying inefficiencies and operating autonomously with a strategic mindset.
- Serving as a “problem solver” by understanding our providers' and patients' pain points, and developing and dispatching solutions.
- Serving as a “systems thinker” by establishing scalable processes to recruit and manage relationships with our providers.
- Serving as a “delighter” by constantly going above and beyond to learn about our providers' and patients' needs and working cross-functionally to ensure they have the best experience possible.
Ideally, you have the right…
- 3+ years of experience in operations at an early-stage venture-backed startup.
- Prior experience in healthcare (preferred, not required).
- Are more of a generalist than a specialist.
- Believe that nothing is below you and anything is possible.
- Have been described as a “very fast learner” and “incredibly resourceful”.
- Are a relentless and creative problem solver who “finds a way no matter what”.
- Can operate in ambiguous situations, at fast speeds, and with lots of self-direction.
- Are detail-oriented and organized.
- Have exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Have the ability to juggle many priorities at once while not dropping any balls.
- You love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-growing startup.
This role is *not* for you if:
- You're looking for a 9-5 job. We’re an early-stage startup, and we all work hard to push toward our ambitious goals.
- You ask for permission rather than forgiveness. We're looking for someone who will take ownership of any situation, whether it's part of their normal responsibilities or another hat they've donned at Aware.
- You're not comfortable with a bit of chaos. Each day is different, and projects and priorities often shift. We're looking for an adaptable team player who is comfortable and confident in the face of change.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- 100% coverage of premium medical/dental/vision insurance starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
- Growth: We believe it is not where we are, but where we are headed, that matters. We are always improving and never complacent; eager to reflect on and learn from our mistakes.
- Relentless: We pride ourselves on persistence, creatively push the limits of what is possible, and ‘find a way no matter what’ after others have given up.
- Quality First: We choose quality over speed every day of the week. Because we care deeply about the people we serve, we meticulously craft every detail of our patient experience.
- First Principles: We think from first principles, not by analogy. We curiously question and scientifically test assumptions to arrive at more creative solutions.
- Data Driven: We see numbers as a currency for trust. Whenever possible, we use them in place of words to create shared understanding and make objective decisions.
- Radical Candor: We embrace difficult conversations, communicate openly what we are thinking and feeling, and build trust through transparency with one another.
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.