TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage mental health tech startup seeking a product-focused and full-stack developer who can rapidly build mobile and web apps. You'll be our sole full-time engineer; building on top of initial MVP infrastructure and joining a team of part-time contractors. Together, we'll reinvent therapy and change the mental health of millions. Details below!
Aware Healthcare is reinventing therapy. We're a venture-backed digital health startup creating a new mental health care system where everyone can get the quality care they deserve. 100 million Americans are currently struggling with a mental health issue, yet only 10% are receiving evidence-based care. That’s why we’re solving for access and quality, by building a national provider network and patient data platform that make it easy to find the right therapist and know you’re getting better. We’re the first network of therapists to use treatment based on science and data shared by patients to deliver truly personalized care. Through making the process of finding and receiving quality mental health care easier, we help patients get better sooner, providers grow their practices, and payers lower their costs. We’ve raised $1.5mm to date from over a dozen top institutional and angel investors (including the CTO of AirBnB, Chief Scientist of Pinterest, and ex-Administrator of SAMHSA), were founded in 2020 by AJ Goldstein (previously early at Calm and Oura), and are based in San Francisco CA, with remote team members across the country. You can learn more about Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/
About the Founder:
AJ Goldstein is the Founder and CEO of Aware Healthcare. Prior to Aware, AJ founded and ran a six-figure profitable AI consulting group called Conscious Insights, where he helped grow 8 early-stage startups into leading digital health brands over 3 years, including Calm, Oura, and Akili. While running Conscious Insights, AJ founded and hosted a popular data science podcast called Data Journeys, where he interviewed 25 world class data scientists from 13 organizations with over $1B in annual revenue and grew a following of 50k+ in 128 countries. Motivated by his own personal experience with the problem, AJ has committed the next decade of his life to creating a new mental health care system with Aware. You can read AJ’s story behind Aware here: https://www.awarehc.com/founders-story
About the Role:
- Title: Founding Engineer
- Location: San Francisco or remote
- Type: Full-Time
We’re looking for a product-focused and full-stack developer to help reinvent therapy.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for developing mobile and web applications that permanently change the way therapy is delivered across the United States.
For your first 6 months, you’ll be our sole full-time engineer, building on top of initial MVP infrastructure that’s been developed by part-time contractors over the past 18 months. From there, you’ll help us hire other fantastic engineers to develop alongside you.
This will be a senior role within the company, and a career-defining role for the right person.
The Technical Challenge:
We are building the largest digital dataset of an individual’s mental health using data from their personal IoT devices (e.g. smartphones, wearables, laptops, smart homes, connected cars).
To do this, we need to build scalable and reliable systems to ingest and process that data, and create innovative user experiences for therapists and patients to get better sooner.
100 million people are currently struggling with a mental health issue in the US alone. This is a problem with a huge scale, and even bigger engineering opportunity.
These are the 2 categories of systems we need to build:
- Product engineering: How would you present health data to patients on a mobile device in a way that’s understandable, motivating, and useful? Think: React Native app with metrics to assess weekly progress and data-drill down capabilities.
- Backend: How would you passively ingest and transform data from hundreds of millions of mobile devices per day, in a way that’s performant and privacy-focused? Think: queueing services, distributed systems, cloud providers.
At this stage, we’re looking for a generalist, not a specialist. Someone talented at quickly getting MVPs off the ground. You will build the first versions of these systems (by developing on top of initial MVP infrastructure, created by part-time contractors over the past 18 months) and, eventually, help us hire fantastic engineers to iterate on them with you!
- Rapidly develop the frontend and backend of our mobile and web application, using React Native, React, Node.js, AWS.
- Be the sole full-time engineer (joining an existing team of part-time contractors) for a new venture-backed mental health startup.
- Be a key player in hiring a world-class engineering team to work alongside you.
- Build incredibly quickly; with the ability to rapidly prototype, ship, and iterate.
- Are a product-focused full-stack engineer skilled in web and mobile development.
- Have prior startup experience at a fast-growing, early-stage, technology company.
- Experience w/ side-projects, hackathons, and other quick 0 to 1 building environments.
- Experience with React Native publishing to both iOS and Google Play app stores.
- Experience building and maintaining APIs for mobile and web applications.
- Love the experience of autonomy, mastery, and purpose that comes with joining a fast-moving startup and owning all things design and engineering.
- Design sense and intuition about how to create beautiful user experiences.
- Mission-driven company with an industry-shaping goal and world-class team.
- Opportunity to make a significant difference on the future of mental health.
- High-growth environment supportive of individual autonomy, mastery, and purpose.
- Full premium medical/dental/vision insurance coverage starting your first day.
- One-of-a-kind company values and team work culture.
- Competitive salary, equity, and benefits.
- Flexible vacation and time-off policy.
- For more information visit: www.awarehc.com/careers
If you’re interested in working with us, we’d love to hear from you! We encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.
At Aware, we know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product and our community to flourish. Aware is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.