Vice President of Business Development
Our venture capital firm is seeking an experienced and energetic VP of Business Development who can help us in our goal of bringing the venture capital asset class to a wider audience. This role will focus on supporting the fundraising endeavors of both our alumni and independent funds by networking with and driving meaningful relationships with high net worth individuals, family offices, and small institutional investors.
Our company, Alumni Ventures Group (AVGfunds.com), formerly Launch Angels, operates a national network of nine alumni funds: Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Yale, Penn, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Stanford, and Berkeley. We have a proven successful product offer and marketing engine for retail investors but want to complement that effort with a targeted direct selling resource. Our company is private, for profit, and not part of any school. Our funds are raised and invested on an annual basis. We operate out of five regional offices, with headquarters in Manchester, NH. This is a full-time position located in our Manchester, NH office with some travel required (approx.10-20%). Additionally, you will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly collaborative environment.
If you are entrepreneurial, with significant fundraising experience and intrigued by this opportunity, we'd love to talk to you.
Our ideal candidate will have many of these traits and be able to recruit strong supporters in areas where he/she might need support.
- Preferred, but not required: graduate of one of our target schools; Top-tier MBA
- A minimum of 7-10 years of fundraising experience (business development, institutional sales, etc.) with a strong track record of success
- Entrepreneurial DNA
- Strong network
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- Experience in a startup environment
- High-energy, engaging personality with a passion for growing and maintaining relationships
- Natural networker who is both captivating and confident
- Credible, trustworthy with a high-level of gravitas
- A self-starter who will seize any opportunity
- Excellent communicator in person, on phone, and in writing
- Have a love for innovation and entrepreneurship
- Experience working with Native American institutional investors, preferred
- Ability to sell AVG, our Funds, and yourself to high net worth, sophisticated investors
- Data-driven professional with an interest in analyzing beyond the surface of information
- Outstanding analytical skills, detail oriented, proactive and self-motivated
- Understanding of Venture Capital as an asset class
- Willingness to travel
- Report directly to the AVG CEO
- Grow, manage, and foster your pipeline of potential investors in both our alumni funds, as well as our other independent funds
- Raise capital across AVG’s family of funds
- Work closely with the AVG team to leverage our knowledge, relationships, and networks
- Work very closely with alumni funds teams in a collaborative manner
- Conduct research and use your relationships to drive new product opportunities for AVG
- Meet with and sell to potential investors throughout the country
- Represent the Company to strategic partners, press, entrepreneurs, and the general public
- Initiate and build long-term relationships with high net worth individuals and their communities
- Work closely with our Marketing department to drive fundraising initiatives throughout the company
- Work within AVGs CRM to track your progress and provide monthly reports to the executive team on your KPIs
- Assist AVG with investor outreach and marketing initiatives to across our communities
Compensation package includes
- Base salary
- Performance bonus
Alumni Ventures Group is a dynamic, rapidly growing organization that builds and manages alumni venture capital funds. We pride ourselves on making a key asset class accessible to investors who were previously had little access to high-quality venture portfolios—and our rapid growth confirms that we are addressing a real pain point for alumni investors. Our Manchester, NH, headquarters provides back office support (e.g., IT, HR, Finance, Marketing, etc.) and other shared resources to all our funds, located throughout the country. Unlike most VC funds that raise money from a handful of institutions, our funds raise money in smaller amounts from a large group of alumni on an annual basis. Our deal teams then invest in a diverse portfolio of venture deals connected to alumni entrepreneurs of the same school. We don’t lead deals, but rather co-invest alongside top firms such as KP, Bessemer, Menlo Ventures, Mark Cuban, Andreessen, Khosla, NEA, and others. We offer funds for alumni at Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Penn, MIT, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Stanford, and Berkeley - with plans to grow to 20 schools and 10 specialty funds in the next 3-4 years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any University.