ABOUT THIS ROLE
Towerview Ventures, Alumni Ventures Group’s (AVG’s) fund for Duke alumni and friends of the community, is seeking an experienced, full-time Principal who will initiate, develop and grow investments and relationships with entrepreneurs at premier private companies. Towerview Ventures is a part of Alumni Ventures Group (AVG), which creates and manages venture capital funds for accredited investors seeking smart, simple access to diversified venture portfolios. In 2019, AVG was the third most active venture investor in the US.
The successful Principal at Towerview Ventures will source, evaluate, conduct due diligence and ultimately execute venture investments that drive investing capabilities for Towerview Ventures & AVG. You'll be joining a fast-paced, professional, and entrepreneurial environment where you'll have significant input into the creation of a unique, diversified, fast-growing portfolio. You will leverage a well vetted playbook, back office support, and processes created by the parent company Alumni Ventures Group to help in executing your role and collaborate with a talented team of marketing and investing professionals.
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AVG has raised over $500 million; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
- 3-5 years of experience in venture capital, technology, private equity, finance, or a leadership / business development role in an entrepreneurial organization
- Venture Capital or direct investing experience is strongly preferred
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or MS/MA preferred
- Alumni or professional alumni of the Duke community preferred
- Experience working simultaneously on multiple projects and managing a high-volume of investment opportunities and entrepreneur relationships
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- Enthusiastic about venture investing and AVG’s model
- Has been part of a successful small team or start-up organization and/or has led new projects or built initiatives from the ground up
- Communication skills:
- leverages a direct communication style to raise questions and name concerns early
- mastery of professional written and verbal communication
- is able to engage a mature business audience
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Strong analytical and financial analysis skills
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Curious and eager to learn, willing to take on new responsibilities at all levels with enthusiasm
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Good networker, with an ability to help grow our system and process for identifying investment opportunities
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but great team player, preferably with personnel management experience
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Database management and strong technical and social media experience a big plus
- Network with Duke alums and others in the venture community
- Participate in the identification of deal sourcing targets (typically Seed and Series A, B or C stage)
- Support construction and evaluation of fund portfolio:
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects.
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Evaluate ~25 companies per week resulting in deep-dives on 3-5 per month and investment into ~25 per year to create a balanced portfolio across industry/sector, stage and geography
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including interviewing lead investor(s), company teams, competitors, and customers
- Work closely with sibling funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Recruit, train, and manage interns/fellows to help support the fund
- Orchestrate and execute Investment Committee meetings
- Prep and distribute due diligence packages for the Investment Committee (IC) and Alumni Venture Group sibling funds to review
- Present companies and respond to questions from the Fund’s Partner, Managing Partner and Fund investors and Investment Committee members
- As requested, assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Contribute positively to AVG's culture
- Base Salary
- Carried Interest
- Equity in AVG
- Competitive Benefits
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG and Yard Ventures are doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.