ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
AVG has raised over $500 million; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Alumni Ventures Group is searching for a Paralegal and Compliance Analyst who will be responsible for supporting the General Counsel and Senior Compliance Officer in ensuring that the organization operates in a legal and compliant manner while achieving business goals. The Paralegal and Compliance Analyst will be a key member of the legal and compliance team, leveraging strong relationships throughout the organization, and will be trusted and relied upon to ensure accurate and timely completion of required regulatory filings related to private fund offerings and operations.
Today, AVG delivers a direct-to-client approach to thousands of accredited individual investors. Our product is simple: actively-managed VC portfolios. These portfolios are diversified across stage, sector, geography, and primarily co-invested with strong, professional VC firms across the country. The Paralegal and Compliance Analyst will assist the General Counsel and other members of the team with regulatory and related filings associated with private fund maintenance and offerings, including the Investment Advisers Act, Regulation D, Blue Sky and Anti-Money Laundering. The responsibilities of this position will require the paralegal to work closely with various internal teams to facilitate the creation, offering and maintenance of funds and the relationships with investors. The individual will offer key support to the General Counsel and other members of the team, assisting with core duties as well as special projects designed to enhance the capabilities and functioning of AVG.
Success for the Paralegal and Compliance Analyst will be achieved through timely, accurate, and efficient completion of required assignments, as well as the ability to offer process improvements and take on additional projects designed to enhance AVG’s overall capabilities. The successful Paralegal will work actively and intentionally to become a trusted member of the legal team, building strong working relationships throughout the organization. This position is based in AVG’s Manchester, NH headquarters or in our Boston, MA office. You will report to AVG’s General Counsel and Senior Compliance Officer and will work across multiple functions to ensure flawless execution of critical regulatory tasks and support related requests from a variety of stakeholders.
OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Completion of required regulatory filings timely and accurately, ensuring AVG’s compliance with regulations and laws related to private fund offerings, including marketing, sales and investor on-boarding requirements
- Consistent compliance with internal policies and procedures
- Identification and implementation of process improvements to enhance overall efficiency and capabilities of the organization
- Becomes a valued and relied upon member of the AVG team, building strong relationships with multiple stakeholders
- Enthusiastically assists General Counsel and Senior Compliance Officer with core duties and other legal projects to help meet AVG legal-related requirements
- Under the overall direction of the General Counsel and Senior Compliance Officer, prepare fund offering materials and complete initial registration filings, as well as Blue Sky filings upon closings of offerings, to ensure timely and accurate completion in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Track and ensure compliance with investor accreditation requirements and anti-money laundering requirements
- Liaise and coordinate with other internal personnel involved in fund offerings, including marketing, registered reps, investor relations, fund accounting, administration and technology
- Assist with and take responsibility for special projects designed to enhance processes, procedures, efficiency and accuracy of AVG operations, databases and record-keeping
- Assist with compliance requirements for AVG staff, including investment personnel and registered representatives
- Disseminate and properly record/archive Carried Interest letters provided by AVG’s Office of Investment and approved by HR
- Support the audit process for required employment records pertaining to AVG personnel and board members, and help secure any outstanding records including; Non-Disclosure agreements, equity grant documentation, financial disclosures, etc.
- Support HR and employment compliance initiatives and audit processes
- Assist General Counsel with corporate legal matters and other projects as requested
- A minimum of two years providing financial, compliance or legal administrative support to a sales or customer service process
- Prior knowledge of and experience with fund offering documents, marketing materials, registration filings, securities laws requirements
- Prior experience with a financial services firm, law firm, investment advisor, or broker-dealer
Education and Certifications, Licenses
- Bachelor’s degree in law, finance, business management or a related field
- Paralegal certificate or other relevant industry qualification
- Process and detail-oriented, capable of reviewing and following processes, communications and documentation to deliver 100% accuracy
- Strong time-management skills to deliver quality work on or before deadlines and manage multiple tasks and initiatives while working with a variety of peer and senior stakeholders
- Adept at learning and navigating a variety of technology and software platforms to facilitate, present and report on work, including MS Office, Google Suite and a number of proprietary systems
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Positive, can-do attitude, with a drive to problem-solve and execute
- Able to take direction and act autonomously but willing to seek clarification and question when appropriate
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
- Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
- Paid parental leave
- 401K Retirement plan
- Unlimited Time Off
- Flexible Schedule
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.