ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Currently AVG manages over $500 million AUM; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
AVG is one of the most active venture capital firms in the world, operating ~20 investment teams and completing approximately ~300 unique deals each year. In order to support this high-volume investment model, AVG has built a very process-oriented structure that is overseen by a small team that is managed by the company’s Chief Investment Officer, operating out of the AVG’s headquarters in Manchester, NH
Given the company’s pace of growth, AVG has created a new Director of Operations role within this team. This individual will work with the existing team to further build-out AVG’s investment processes and support each of the company’s distributed investment teams. This includes the sourcing, diligence, and approval of investment opportunities moving through AVG’s pipeline.
Some of the responsibilities of the role include:
- Develop and implement new guidelines and standards for how investment teams source, evaluate, and complete deals
- Support each of AVG’s investment teams, providing guidance on investment process standards and tracking performance metrics across teams
- Execute AVG’s deal approval process – ensure all deals that move through AVG’s pipeline are evaluated consistently within our model / standards
- Execute on AVG’s syndication program, working with investment teams and many other functions within AVG to ensure a strong investor experience
- Analyze AVG’s investment activity & performance vs. plan, and leverage the output to make recommendations on how to further improve the business
- Develop systems that support compliance with the Investing Operations processes and AVG’s investment mandate
- Work closely with Finance & Investor Relations to properly manage liquidity events at portfolio companies
- Track, manage, and report on data related to scorecards, due diligence, carried interest, deal selection, and liquidity events
- Manage deal allocations for all funds
- Support successful handoff of new portfolio companies to Portfolio Services following completion of deal; work closely with Portfolio Services to evaluate potential follow-on rounds
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in process development and execution, as well as the ability to analyze & process data.
Reporting to the VP of Investment Operations, the Director of Operations will be working closely with the other members of the operations team under the direction of AVG’s CIO. While the AVG team is currently working with remote flexibility, this role will eventually be based in AVG’s headquarters in Manchester, NH.
- 5-10 years in an entrepreneurial, consulting, or investments role; preferably with a focus on analytics and/or process development
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in the venture capital and/or startup industry
- High attention to detail
- Proven ability to work well with others and operate in a “low-ego” environment
- MBA preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Excel & Powerpoint; coding (with a focus on analytics) knowledge a plus
- Highly organized
- Analytical, with passion for measuring results
- Process-oriented; willingness and ability to both follow process and also identify and communicate opportunities for process improvements
- Strong sense of urgency around advancing process and supporting team members in reaching their goals
SKILLS AND STRENGTHS
- Ability to identify critical elements of a process and build and implement smart, efficient solutions to support goals – ideally leveraging this skill in developing a process and compliance around an investment thesis
- Can effectively communicate process, requirements, expectations, and next steps to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to engage team members to achieve goals and organizational effectiveness, working both collaboratively with team members and independently as needed
- Exceptional time-management
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with proven initiative
- Strong writer and communicator; excellent listener
- Demonstrated ability to identify, track, and evaluate information at critical data points and leverage analytical skills to make business decisions that drive successful outcomes
- Expertise regarding data models and analysis, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.