ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Currently AVG manages over $500 million AUM; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Alumni Ventures Group is seeking an associate to support our growing list of portfolio companies across the nation, helping them grow by leveraging AVG’s unique network of thousands of investors, hundreds of thousands of community members and subscribers, and the peer contacts at hundreds of other exciting startups. This role is based out of AVG’s headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG offers a unique value to the hundreds of portfolio companies in which it invests: a unique & engaged network of more than 600,000 community members and subscribers who share our company’s commitment to supporting the entrepreneurial ecosystem. AVG’s Portfolio Services team actively supports the portfolio companies in which AVG invests, primarily by tapping into the AVG network.
The Portfolio Services Associate is a conduit to help grow our startups, by leveraging AVG’s network. On a regular basis, the Portfolio Services team interacts directly with our ~50 investing professionals; with executives at our hundreds of portfolio companies; and with our investors, community members, and others, in order to make mutually valuable connections for purposes of supporting sales, partnerships, hiring, and other business growth.
- Contribute to and manage the day-to-day processes that drive value from AVG’s community to our growing portfolio of more than 500 companies:
- Produce ‘Network Maps’ and identify leads for companies from AVG’s community
- Work collaboratively with portfolio companies to identify and prioritize AVG’s value add
- Source Talent from within AVG’s network of university relationships, job-seekers, and first-degree referrals
- Manage queue of all value-add connection campaigns, log all inbound portfolio company ‘asks,’ tracking and documenting through completion
- Serve as one of two primary liaisons between Portfolio Services and AVG’s network of 500K community members:
- Nurture relationships with high-priority sub-groups of the AVG community (e.g., Fortune 500 executives, Expert Network, job seekers, etc)
- Attend community events and facilitate portfolio company engagement
- Work collaboratively and emphasize teamwork and continuous improvement
- Initiate and contribute to process improvements related to streamlining and scaling the department’s activities
- Work with the Director of Portfolio Services to determine and execute on ambitious objectives that help Portfolio Services achieve objectives and support AVG’s mission
- Communicate proactively and in the interest of AVG, contribute to our iterative and collaborative work culture by sharing successes and supporting departmental goals
- Advanced degree preferred (MBA ideal but not required); Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- 3+ years of experience in B2B sales, business development, relationship management, or similar professional business background such as account management, customer service, talent recruiting, or other -- ideally within the startup space or specific experience acquiring enterprise customers
- Has the experience and ability to bring business to and help grow AVG’s network and Investment Team capabilities
Other desired traits:
- Strong communications & professional customer service skills
- Project & process management & strong organization skills.
- Multi-tasking & focus on achieving objectives
- Basic understanding of the VC & startup ecosystem
- Ability to leverage online and offline networks
- Basic mastery of spreadsheet & database management
- Strong work ethic, ability to meet deadlines and overcome obstacles to achieve outcomes
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
- Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
- Paid parental leave
- 401K Retirement plan
- Unlimited Time Off
- Flexible Schedule
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.