ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Currently AVG manages over $500 million AUM; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This role will serve as the in-house writer and professional communicator for AVG’s Office of Investing, with responsibilities ranging from email communication to investors, to slide deck presentations for internal use, to white papers and public education on the venture capital asset class.
The role of the Office of Investing group at AVG is to monitor and support the needs of AVG’s investment teams in service of delivering AVG’s investment promises to its investors. AVG’s Office of Investing provides a unique opportunity for this individual to develop meaningful content related to shaping the voice of AVG and positioning it to further expand. AVG is seeking a skilled business writer, interested in contributing to our disruptive model and working in a fast-paced, experimental environment. The role will report to the Chief Investment Officer and work closely with AVG’s central Communications team
This role can be based in our Manchester, NH, Boston, New York, or Chicago offices and will be a critical member of the Office of Investing organization.
Daily Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Produce technical, educational long (white paper) and short form (marketing email) written content related to AVG’s new and existing investment products
- Create internal facing content related to investment team processes, programs and initiatives such as Partner Meeting presentations, webinar materials, and communication materials for board members
- Assist in all phases of the development lifecycle for other original content. Content includes blog posts, videos, podcasts, infographics, case studies, guides, social postings, data sheets, presentations, and more
- Effectively optimize content for SEO purposes
- Research and write engaging, relevant, original copy as well as edit and proofread existing content
- Update and publish web pages and social media as needed
- Collaborate with members of the marketing and communications team on various projects and marketing campaigns
- Collaborate with third-party contractors (copywriters, designers, video producers, podcasters, voiceover talent, PR agencies) to source, proof and manage projects through appropriate approval processes
- Facilitate the production logistics for specialized content projects (e.g. video film days, podcast recordings)
- Prepare performance reports related to aforementioned production projects
The ideal candidate will satisfy all of the requirements below, and serious applicants will satisfy most requirements and have professional exposure to all below.
- 1-2 years of business writing experience in a professional setting preferred (internships qualify)
- Experience writing broadcast email, research papers, and presentations
- Degree in Finance, Communications, English, Journalism, or other relevant field preferred
- Demonstrated researching, writing and editing proficiency
- Ability and willingness to work at a fast pace in an environment that constantly changes
- Strong teamwork orientation and ability to get along with a variety of personalities
- Ability to think outside the box, being creative and innovative in your approach
- Analytical, with passion for intelligently measuring and assessing results
- Ability to effectively collaborate with a team of coworkers both in-person and remote
- Ability to understand the strategy and concept behind projects
- Strong Word, Adobe, Excel skills and proficiency with G Suite, particularly Google Sheets and Docs
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility, adaptability, comfort with multitasking
- Efficient, professional, with a passion for quality and meeting deadlines
- Experience and/or understanding of the venture capital industry
- Experience as a content creator, marketing coordinator, copywriter/designer, or in a similar role
- Experience with business writing
- Experience with CRM, CMS, and workflow management systems such as Hubspot, WordPress Wrike, Canva or similar tools, as well as Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with SEO best practices
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
- Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
- Paid parental leave
- 401K Retirement plan
- Unlimited Time Off
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.