ABOUT THIS ROLE
AVG is searching for a Director of Staff Development to design, deliver and manage staff development, management training, and performance management initiatives that support AVG in achieving business goals and employees fulfilling their career aspirations.
Success for the Director of Staff Development will be measured the implementation, level of staff engagement in, and results from key programs and processes that foster a productive, well-aligned and engaged workforce. This position plays a critical role in ensuring that employees and managers actively understand and define the alignment between their day-to-day work, the tactical and strategic goals of the organization, and their own professional goals, development path, and values.
This position will report to AVG’s Chief People Officer and is based out of AVG’s Manchester, NH, Boston, MA, or New York City. In the future (Post-Covid), we expect this role to have some (30%) travel (NH, Boston, SF, CHC, or NYC, with either regular travel or remote work with our teams around the country.
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Currently AVG manages over $500 million AUM; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
- AVG employees, interns, executives and board members understand the objectives of the organization and can articulate “success” for the company and for their own role; each stakeholder understands the part their team and position play in supporting the company’s success.
- Employees and their supervisors have clear, up to date written plans that clearly articulate our expectations for employees and our commitment to the employee’s development.
- Managers, Department Heads, and the Executive team have a clear view into the performance status, gaps, and opportunities across the team.
- Supervisors have regular and mutually constructive dialog on the alignment between employee goals, development, and AVG tactical & strategic goals.
- Employee surveys and additional relevant metrics indicate training, development and communication practices that support AVG’s goals and employee development are implemented and reviewed for continuous improvement.
- All AVG employees receive the training – onboarding & ongoing – necessary to succeed in their role.
- All AVG employees have a strong understanding of AVG’s business goals, constituents, values & approach (Our “Just Cause” and “North Stars”).
A strong candidate will hold many of the requirements below:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's degree; ideally in fields such as (or complemented by significant professional experience in) Human Resources, Organizational Development, Leadership Development, Industrial Organizational Psychology.
- Advanced degree such as MBA or MA degree in the fields above preferred, but not required.
- 7+ years of experience in People Strategy/Human Resources, Talent Management, Organizational Effectiveness, or Education.
- Experience designing and implementing customized, cross-functional, training and development programs to improve productivity and performance, foster positive management practices, enhance organizational alignment and advance employee health and engagement
- Experience working within a rapidly growing startup organization
- Successful experience working with executive teams, senior leadership and first-time people managers
Skills and Competencies
- Strong design skills with a good sense of user experience.
- Strong communicator – written, verbal, and via prepared materials.
- Relationship-building & stakeholder management.
- Strong analytical capabilities; experience organizing and interpreting HR and business data.
- Program design & implementation
- Organizational and multi-tasking skills in a deadline-driven environment.
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.