ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees working from locations in Boston, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, Austin, and a headquarters in Manchester, NH.
AVG provides accredited investors with a smart simple way to own high-quality, professionally-managed venture portfolios. AVG offers dozens of distinct funds, including: 16 Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused Funds that offer specific investment themes broadly to accredited investors; and Syndication investment Funds in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated approach to growth and innovation that is centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Currently AVG manages over $500 million AUM; has invested in over 500 portfolio companies on behalf of thousands of accredited investors; and supports a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 stakeholders that includes investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members. AVG typically co-invests with established venture firms and does not lead investment rounds or take board seats. Last year, AVG was the third most-active venture investor in the US.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Alumni Ventures Group is seeking an investing professional with ambition to further a career in venture capital who will serve as a Principal in Residence in our Office of Investing, providing centralized deal sourcing support for AVG’s 17 alumni fund teams from our headquarters in New Hampshire, before joining an investment team in either Boston, New York, Chicago or San Francisco more permanently, ~twelve months after joining the AVG team.
Today, AVG provides thousands of accredited investors with venture portfolios diversified across stage, sector, geography, and co-invested with established VC firms across the country. AVG’s product line includes Alumni Funds which engage alumni and friends of top colleges and universities to invest in these portfolios on an annual basis; and Focused Funds offering investors specific investing themes. AVG’s Office of Investing provides a unique opportunity for the Principal in Residence to develop invaluable experience in sourcing and performing diligence on a high-volume of deals diversified across stage, sector, and geography, while at the same time building a meaningful personal network in the venture and startup ecosystem. You will experience lots of venture “repetitions” at one of the most active VC investors in the US. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated innovative approach centered on experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Success for AVG’s Principal in Residence in the Office of Investment (OOI) will be demonstrated through the increased visibility and improved access to investment opportunities that meet AVG’s selection criteria, and ultimately, are investments considered and made by one of our 17 alumni funds.
The Principal in Residence role is located in AVG’s headquarters in Manchester, NH for the first 3-6 months (apartment available as needed), with occasional travel, then will have the opportunity move to one of AVG’s local offices in either NYC, Boston, Chicago, or the Bay Area, either to continue to work with OOI for the remainder of the ~12 month rotation or to join one of AVG’s Alumni Fund Teams.
Due to the public health crisis, AVG is currently following enhanced facility safety and workplace flexibility standards. For the first 3-6 months, this role will have a private office in New Hampshire and some flexibility to work remotely as needed; after deployment to a regional office (NYC, Chicago, Boston, or Bay Area), the role will follow the same office policies as other teammates in that region, which has ranged from fully remote to in-person, depending on geography and current conditions.
Under the direction of the Chief Investment Officer, the Principal in Residence will generate and manage qualified deal flow and introduce investment opportunities to AVG’s investment team members, as indicated by the following outcomes:
- Evaluation of roughly 25 companies per week, diversified across stage, sector and geography
- Deep dives conducted on 3-5 potential investment opportunities each month
- Source, evaluate, and contribute to the execution of approximately 25 deals per year by AVG or AVG’s fund teams
- Assist in building Alumni Fund and OOI venture and startup investment networks in addition to building your own personal network
Responsibilities in achieving the above outcomes include, but are not limited to:
- Research and evaluate venture trends, and create filters to source promising investment opportunities in given technology sectors and industries
- Actively research and advocate for diversified deal opportunities
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with investment prospects
- Develop and manage an active, relevant network of startup and venture capital contacts that contributes to the development of AVG deal flow
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AVG’s processes and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Monitor and ensure the timely and effective communication and engagement with members of the AVG network
- Support the development, documentation and implementation of processes that improve the number of potential deals considered and the number of qualified deal opportunities available to the investment teams
- Advance and manage regular reporting on sourcing activities and effectiveness
- Establish feedback loops to measure the quantity and quality of sourcing channels
- Serve as a facilitator in managing the handoff of potential deal opportunities from OOI to AVG’s investment teams
- Provide support to colleagues in AVG’s OOI, including developing, facilitating, and implementing training of concerning AVG’s unique processes, scorecards, analytics, Investment Committee management, and additional support as required
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture and team, role modeling AVG values and working consistently toward its purpose and strategy.
- 3-5 years of experience in technology, venture capital, private equity, finance, or a leadership / business development role in an entrepreneurial organization
- Venture Capital or direct investing experience is strongly preferred
- MBA is preferred
- Experience working simultaneously on multiple projects and managing a high-volume of investment opportunities and projects.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
- Equity stake in AVG
- Apartment available in Manchester, NH for initial “In Residence” term of 3-6 months.
- Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
- Paid parental leave
- 401K Retirement plan
- Unlimited Time Off
- Flexible Schedule
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.