Chief People Officer | Alumni Ventures Group
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
Alumni Ventures Group creates and manages venture capital funds for accredited investors seeking smart, simple access to diversified venture portfolios. Fueled by a disruptive business model and an innovative solution for an underserved market, AVG is growing rapidly, with roughly 100 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of more than 500,000 investors, entrepreneurs, subscribers and community members.
AVG’s purpose is to grow and engage with this inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. In 2019, AVG was the third most active venture investor in the US. AVG is a fast-paced work environment with a dedicated innovation approach centered on regular change, experimentation, learning (from both failures and successes), iteration, and continuous improvement.
Our headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Austin, TX. Our company manages dozens of venture funds, including Alumni Funds that support the entrepreneurial ecosystems of the alumni of top universities nationwide; Focused and Open Access funds that offer specific investment themes; Syndication investments in individual start-up companies, and more. We are private, for-profit, and not affiliated with any school.
ABOUT THIS ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Chief People Office is responsible for ensuring the health and success of one of AVG’s most valuable assets – our team – in the pursuit of AVG’s business goals. This is simultaneously a leadership role, a strategy contributor, and a roll-up-your-sleeves-and-execute role at AVG.
The CPO’s primary responsibility is managing the strategy & processes necessary for building and retaining a team of professionals that advance AVG’s business goals and the company’s Just Cause. This includes leading a small team of HR professionals who are focused on recruiting, training & development, Employee relations, HR administration & HR compliance. The CPO will provide strategic counsel to the CEO & Executive team on compensation, employee engagement, company policies and internal communication. AVG is additionally committed to providing new onramps to underrepresented communities in both our company and industry, and the CPO will play an important role in increasing diversity and ensuring equity and inclusion across the team.
In additional to supporting the full People, Talent & HR function at AVG, the CPO will also be expected to take individual responsibility for:
- Recruitment for our Investment Team roles, including building a network and pipeline at key universities, career offices, entrepreneurship centers, startup accelerator programs, and like-minded businesses nationwide;
- Administering a system for clear expectations and a mutually-beneficial, ‘give-get’ relationship between AVG & our teammates, building on the “Tours of Duty” framework that AVG has begun to deploy; and
- Ensuring that the voice of employees is represented on the Executive Team, and that AVG decisions & policies are appropriately communicated across the organization.
Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the COO and Department Heads across the organization, the CPO leads a team of 3-4 HR professionals. The role is based out of Manchester, NH and after an initial ~3 month onboarding, includes flexibility to split time a few days a week either working remotely or out of our Boston, New York, or Chicago offices. (Currently given the COVID public health situation, AVG offices are open to voluntary use with safety measures, but no staff are required to work out of AVG facilities.)
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
A strong candidate will have most or all of the following:
- MBA or similar graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Combination of academic and professional focus dedicated to fields including Business as well as some combination of Human Resources, Organizational Development, Leadership Development, Industrial Organizational Psychology, Talent Management or similar.
- 10-15 years of experience professional experience in related fields.
- Prior professional experience in a startup, high-growth business; ideally in a disruptive innovation business model
- Fluency in venture capital and startup ecosystems.
- A personal network in some combination of: venture capital, startups, top tier MBA alumni, or other graduate degree program career networks.
- Successful experience working with executive teams, senior leadership, founders, and first-time people managers.
- Business acumen
- Personal leadership
- Storytelling & cultural influence
- Talent recruitment & charisma
- Adaptability & growth-mindset
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
- Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
- Paid parental leave
- 401K Retirement plan
- Unlimited Time Off
- Vesting schedule for equity in AVG, LLC.
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.