SENIOR TALENT PARTNER JULY 2020
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization with roughly 100 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of 500,000 investors, entrepreneurs, and community members. AVG is dedicated to growing and engaging with this inclusive community to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. In 2019, AVG was the third most active venture investor in the US.
Our headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Austin, TX. On an annual basis, these teams raise funds from their respective alumni communities to invest in a diversified portfolio of promising start-ups. Our key competitive advantage as an investor is the combined scale and connectivity of our vast network, which provides capital, sources deals, and assists our portfolio companies. AVG has successfully launched over 25 venture funds. We are private, for-profit, and not part of any school.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Senior Talent Partner leads talent acquisition for AVG, crafting and executing on talent sourcing and recruiting campaigns that deliver top talent to AVG. The Senior Talent Partner works closely with the HR & Talent organization and creates strong working relationships across the business to manage the recruiting process from recruitment marketing and pipeline generation to offer acceptance and pre-hire planning. Leveraging exceptional marketing and relationship-based sales skills, this role is responsible for maintaining important partnerships with stakeholders in key eco-systems and communities that align with AVG’s business and provide access to qualified, passive talent as well as meaningful introductions for AVG’s fund teams. Success for this role is measured through the improvement of key recruiting metrics; including, time to hire, the number of qualified finalists for key roles, the number of qualified referrals per position and overall candidate experience.
Reporting to the Head of Talent and Human Resources the Senior Talent Partner may be based out of one of AVG’s offices in Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco or our Manchester, NH headquarters. This position will require some travel, up to 10-20% as necessary (depending on the public health environment; currently to protect the health of our employees, AVG is largely remote and does not engage in business travel), to fulfill the responsibilities of the role as related to cultivating relationships internally and within key related eco-systems, as well as in the interest of facilitating strong candidate engagement.
OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Productive relationships established within critical eco-systems including University, startup and VC communities.
- Actively managed talent pipeline engaged and leveraged in support of key roles on AVG’s corporate and fund teams
- Efficient management of all AVG requisitions from launch to close, resulting in improved time to hire and candidate experience metrics
- AVG’s employment brand is well promoted and managed through strategic recruitment marketing and aligned with our Employee Value Proposition
- High-value referral program in place, with processes that leverage the AVG workforce and overall community to drive qualified applicants
- Serve as the face of AVG recruiting internally and externally, cultivating and leveraging relationships that result in the efficient hiring of top talent to support AVG’s growth and development.
- Partner with HR & Talent colleagues, senior leaders and all AVG teams to develop a hiring strategy that supports the company’s rapid growth and builds a work environment where employees do their best work.
- Identify and foster relationships with key external stakeholders within various communities that represent demographics aligned with AVG’s hiring and branding initiatives.
- Collaborate with AVG’s Communications team to develop and deploy recruitment marketing collateral to support passive pipeline development and strategic recruitment marketing.
- Develop and manage the full cycle recruiting process for AVG’s Corporate and Investment team roles, from recruitment marketing and sourcing through offer acceptance and pre-hire planning.
- Review and analyze recruiting metrics to provide feedback to AVG colleagues and in order to implement systemic improvements.
- Partner closely with business units and hiring managers to assess their talent requirements and advise on the best hiring strategy and execute on those practices, aligned with AVG’s brand and the people strategy.
- Educate and guide hiring managers on Talent Acquisition related initiatives, processes and interviewing competencies and provide coaching on interview and selection techniques.
- Build repeatable, scalable processes to identify and attract the best talent in technical or business baseline.
- Screen and select candidates effectively by assessing both the technical or business skills as well as alignment with AVG’s employee value proposition
- Facilitate or directly provide an efficient and high-touch experience for every candidate from the application stage to offer, evaluating skill level, driving the interview, offer, rejection and pre-hire processes.
- Support compensation and Total Rewards benchmarking initiatives in concert with the HR & Talent team.
- Provide feedback to senior leadership and HR & Talent colleagues on AVG’s employee value proposition and the company’s ability to attract top talent.
- Partner with senior leaders and HR & Talent colleagues on succession planning, talent development and employee health priorities.
- Actively participate with HR and Finance in forecasting and budgeting related to hiring projections.
- Work with the HR & Talent team, including the Director of Training and Development to identify and develop dashboards, reports and analytics to measure the progress of training, development, talent acquisition and employee health and engagement.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Fields of study including Industrial Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, Communications, Business are a plus.
- MBA preferred
- 10+ years of recruitment experience including significant experience recruiting senior leadership for the Venture Capital industry and/or for startups/portfolio companies
- Meaningful experience driving or leading the development of a nation-wide recruiting practice and referral program and building and implementing scalable, cross-functional recruiting processes
- Experience in recruitment marketing and/or a related sales industry is ideal
- Experience working with entrepreneurial ecosystems and/or university/alumni ecosystems is preferred.
SKILL & COMPETENCIES
- Strong project management skills including the ability to schedule, manage and prioritize multiple fast-paced and high priority initiatives efficiently.
- Capable at deciphering business needs in order to develop effective talent profiles and recruitment strategies
- Proven skill at working up, down and across levels of an organization to develop understanding, create buy-in and assess organizational capabilities and needs
- Exceptional strengths in all forms of communication with the ability to identify decision making criteria, convey important information effectively and succinctly and craft a compelling presentation of both opportunities and individuals
- Professional networking management, leverages a top down, mushroom approach to develop sustainable connections with key institutions
- Critical and strategic thinking skills that results in the ability to develop effective, scalable processes and overcome individual challenges throughout recruitment and hiring processes
- Negotiation and collaborative decision-making skills, able to get to a “win-win” solution in a variety of scenarios
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.