DIRECTOR OF TRAINING AND TALENT DEVELOPMENT
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization with roughly 100 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of 500,000 investors, entrepreneurs, and community members. AVG is dedicated to growing and engaging with this inclusive community to disrupt the status quo and build a better future. In 2019, AVG was the third most active venture investor in the US.
Our headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Austin, TX. On an annual basis, these teams raise funds from their respective alumni communities to invest in a diversified portfolio of promising start-ups. Our key competitive advantage as an investor is the combined scale and connectivity of our vast network, which provides capital, sources deals, and assists our portfolio companies. AVG has successfully launched over 25 venture funds. We are private, for-profit, and not part of any school.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Director of Training and Development designs, delivers and manages training, development and performance management initiatives that support AVG in achieving business goals. Success for the Director of Training and Development will be measured the implementation of several key programs and processes in the first year that foster a productive, well-aligned and engaged workforce. This position plays a critical role in ensuring employee health and engagement through training and development programs that align with company values and help drive AVG forward.
Reporting to the Head of Talent and Human Resources the Director of Training and Development is based out of AVG’s Manchester, NH headquarters. role (as most are currently at AVG), with an office available in Manchester, Boston, or Chicago. In the future, we expect this role to be based heavily in NH, Boston, or NYC, with either regular travel or remote work with our teams around the country, depending on the future public health situation.
OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- AVG employees, interns, executives and board members understand the objectives of the organization and can articulate “success” for the company and for their own role; each stakeholder understands the part their team and position play in supporting the company’s success.
- Employees and their supervisors have clear, up to date performance objectives and can articulate both quantitative and qualitative measurables that indicate progress to toward those objectives.
- Managers, department heads, and executives have a clear view of the performance of their teams and employees.
- The goals and focus of AVG’s investment team members and related operational teams are effectively aligned
- AVG’s people managers are trained and executing on a playbook that supports company goals and employee health and engagement through the facilitation of consistent management practices across the organization
- Employee surveys and additional relevant metrics indicate training, development and communication practices that support AVG’s goals and employee development.=
- All AVG employees have a strong understanding of AVG’s business model, how the organization operates, and what differentiates AVG from its competition
- All employees have a clear professional growth trajectory defined, with areas of development & opportunity identified.
- Build and nurture productive working relationships across AVG’s business, including the leaders of our corporate and our investment teams to gain insight and support for training and development initiatives
- Lead the ongoing development of training, performance management and talent development strategy, working closely with HR & Talent colleagues and AVG leadership
- Drive engagement with development initiatives as measured by adoption and feedback from team members at all levels
- Update and implement a performance expectations system across the company (including employees, interns, executives and board members) that aligns each department, team and role at AVG with the organization’s objectives.
- Support AVG’s leaders and managers in the ongoing development of short term measurables and key deliverables that accurately reflect progress toward longer term individual, team and company goals
- Develop, provide training on and ensure the use of a playbook that equips AVG’s people managers with the management tools and practices that support effective communication, direction and engagement with employees
- Support performance management needs by designing and providing processes, tools and direction for managers and Talent & HR partners as requested
- Collaborate across the organization to design and deliver a suite of “AVG 101” training modules to educate employees on AVG’s business and operations and informs all employees of the role that each department and team member plays in the company’s success
- Support the Head of Talent and HR and AVG’s leadership in the identification and mapping of “lynchpin” roles at AVG and participate in the development of succession planning and talent acquisition programming to ensure consistent high performance and productivity in key business areas
- Work with the HR & Talent team, including the Senior Talent Partner and Head of Talent & HR to identify and develop dashboards, reports and analytics to measure the progress of training, development, talent acquisition and employee health and engagement.
- Provide regular reporting and communication to HR & Talent colleagues and business leadership on performance, engagement, and talent initiatives.
- Further develop AVG’s orientation, onboarding and inboarding processes to support low “time-to-productivity” for new employees or those transitioning into new roles
- Develop and manage the AVG Total Rewards training
- Leverage feedback from all levels to develop and provide training to AVG’s managers, ensuring people managers have effective fundamental skills and strong management practices used consistently across the organization
- Collaborate on and support the design and use of feedback processes and employee surveys to inform improved training and development and HR & Talent initiatives
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Leadership Development, Industrial Organizational Psychology or related field required
- MBA desirable
- 10-15 years of experience in People Strategy/Human Resources, Talent Management or Organizational Effectiveness
- Experience designing and implementing customized, cross-functional, training and development programs to improve productivity and performance, foster positive management practices, enhance organizational alignment and advance employee health and engagement
- Significant experience working within a rapidly growing startup organization
- Successful experience working with executive teams, senior leadership and first-time people managers
SKILL & COMPETENCIES
- Strong design skills with a good sense of user experience leveraging learning and educational practices
- Highly effective communication and relationship building capacity, readily able to decipher stakeholder interests and identify and deliver on the opportunity to address business goals and team or individual needs
- Strong analytical capabilities with experience organizing and interpreting HR and business data and to support the development and effective training and development programs
- Capable of translating organizational goals into talent and development practices
- Can efficiently design and deploy “consumer friendly” training initiatives to address gaps and opportunities that will deliver on business goals
- Extremely well-organized with demonstrated success both managing and integrating multiple projects and initiatives, including those that require support and engagement from various business leaders
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.