Alumni Ventures Group is searching for a General Manager who will oversee the annual fundraise for a group of funds that provide retail investors access to venture capital.
ABOUT ALUMNI VENTURES GROUP
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing company with over 100 employees across the country dedicated to growing and engaging with an inclusive community of teammates, investors, and entrepreneurs disrupting the status quo in order to build a better future. AVG provides accredited investors with the smartest, simplest way to own a high-quality, actively-indexed venture portfolio. Today, we serve roughly 4,000 investors, hundreds of startups, and a community of over 500,000 stakeholders across the country. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Menlo Park and Austin.
Today, AVG delivers a direct-to-client approach to thousands of accredited individual investors. Our product is simple: actively-indexed VC portfolios. These portfolios are diversified across stage, sector, geography, and primarily co-invested with top-quartile VC firms across the country. AVG’s Core Funds engage alumni of top colleges and universities to invest in these portfolios on an annual basis.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As AVG moves forward, we are looking to continue to grow and create value – with the goal of being the venture capital investment firm for audiences that don’t otherwise have access to the asset class (individuals, investment advisors, small institutional investors). To that end, we're seeking an experienced, full-time General Manager for who will oversee the fundraising success of six of our funds. The General Manager will draw on a background in sales, marketing, project management, team management, b2c sales, and a “builder” mentality to ensure the success of each fund’s annual raise according to the AVG Playbook and related systems and processes. Additionally, the General Manager will contribute to the further development of AVG’s fundraising systems and processes.
This is a full-time position based out of AVG’s Manchester, NH headquarters. You will report to AVG’s Chief Community Officer and will work closely with the Managing Partners, Senior Partners and other Investment Team members who are involved in fundraising for your fund group. You will also manage two or three Investor Relations Managers whose day-to-day work directly supports the fundraising process. Some travel, in addition to travel between Boston and Manchester, is anticipated – about every other month - in order to fulfill your responsibilities.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
In addition to salary:
Equity in AVG
Comprehensive Benefits and Wellness plan including Health, Dental, Vision
401K Retirement Plan
- Strong interest in entrepreneurship and venture capital
- Extremely strong intellect, with a passion for learning and growing
- Expertise with a variety of marketing approaches, frameworks, tools, and philosophies
- Can communicate big-picture objectives while consistently executing on a high number of initiatives to drive projects and processes forward
- Ability to manage up to a CCO and CEO, and across a smart, sophisticated employee base while providing strong leadership to a team of Client Managers
- Enjoys and embraces change and continuous improvement
The ideal candidate will satisfy all of the requirements below, and serious applicants will satisfy most requirements and have professional exposure to all below.
- 10+ years professional experience, including relatable sales management and marketing experience
- MBA or equivalent professional experience
- Expert-level in HubSpot’s CRM or similar marketing tools
- Experience hiring, training, managing and building a team including experience evaluating talent and ability and, when necessary, making difficult personnel decisions
- Experience and comfort level with engaging a sophisticated and intelligent audience
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Experience building, evaluating and improving processes and capabilities
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous tasks and processes
- Strong relationship builder and communicator
- Sufficient working knowledge of the venture capital asset class and industry
OUTCOMES & RESPONSIBILITIES (First 12 Months)
Under the direction of the Chief Community Officer, General Manager will manage the team of the Investor Relations Managers and assure that the fundraising goals are met for assigned funds, indicated by growth of each fund’s annual AUM, improved prospecting and conversion activity and the General Manager’s contributions to developing and improving AVG’s fundraising strategy and process.
Responsibilities in achieving the above outcomes include, but are not limited to:
- The General Manager oversees and is responsible for the fundraise for six of AVG’s funds. These funds operate on a 12-month calendar, and are actively raising funds in nine of those 12 months each year
- Manage two Investor Relations Managers (each responsible for three funds within the GM’s group). Investor Relations Managers are responsible for providing world-class prospect and investor engagement. They have responsibilities spanning the top of the sales funnel through post-commitment follow up and support for a prospect. The General Manager ensures IRMs adheres to the playbook and works with IRM’s to further enhance and develop the playbook.
- Oversee the marketing budget that is associated with your funds
- Ensure that Managing Partners for each fund in the fund group are well supported in their fundraising pitch and are working in unison with the AVG fundraising team.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the entire AVG fundraising playbook, facilitating collaboration and coordination with all fundraising support teams (marketing at top of funnel, communications, email marketing, Investor Relations Managers, and the Dept. of Investor Engagement)
- Regularly review and analyze the data relative to each fund’s raise and overall fundraising process to improve the support for and success of the fundraise.
- Identify and implement improved reporting mechanisms throughout the fundraising engine
- Manage a variety of marketing and fundraising projects, programs, and initiatives to increase leads, closes, and re-ups
- Collaborate with the team of General Manager’s to conduct on-boarding for new Managing Partners as it relates to the fundraising side of the business
- Build and drive the company’s fundraising processes and systems
- Shape and share out key marketing themes and messages
- Help assess the launch of new funds/products and advise on how to maximize return
- Contribute positively to AVG’s culture and team, role modeling AVG values and working consistently toward North Stars
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.