Senior Associate - Future Opportunities
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization with 100 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of over 500,000 entrepreneurs, investors, and supporters. We are disrupting financial services by bringing smart, simple venture capital investing options to 15 million accredited investors who currently do not have a good option to enter the asset class. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, Manchester, NH, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco and Austin, TX. On an annual basis, these teams raise funds from their respective communities to invest in diverse, promising startups and growing businesses. Our key competitive advantage as an investor is the combined scale and connectivity of our vast network, our connected capital, which provides capital, sources deals and adds unique value for our portfolio companies. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds to date and will build another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for-profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG continues to grow, we continually seek experienced investment professionals who can add to the capacity of our large funds. As a Senior Associate, you’ll be joining a fast-paced, professional, and entrepreneurial organization where you'll have input into the creation of a unique, diversified, fast-growing portfolio and the opportunity to work with exceptional investment team and committee. You will leverage a well-vetted playbook, back office support, and processes created by Alumni Ventures Group to help in executing your role. You will report to the Managing Partner and will work closely with your entire Fund team and AVG’s Office of Investing.
This full-time opportunity could be based in our Boston, Chicago, New York or San Francisco offices. You will be a salaried employee of AVG, with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Please note that we will contact candidates we are interested in speaking with as opportunities relevant to your skills and experience are identified.
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA preferred
- Venture Capital or direct investing experience is strongly preferred
- 2-4 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, finance or product management, business development or in a high-impact role in an entrepreneurial organization.
- Experience working simultaneously on multiple projects and managing a high-volume of relationships
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- Desire to build a career and further skills and experience in venture investing
- Has been part of a successful small team or start-up organization and/or has led new projects or built initiatives from the ground up
- Communication skills:
- Leverages a direct communication style to raise questions and name concerns early
- Professional in written and verbal communication
- Able to engage a mature business audience
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate and distill a venture’s business model, market opportunity and team
- Aptitude to learn about the venture capital community including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Strong analytical and financial analysis skills
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and some experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Curious and eager to learn, willing to take on new responsibilities at all levels with enthusiasm
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Demonstrated excellent time-management skills to capture and execute on near-term and long-term tasks
- Good networker, with an ability to help grow our system and process for identifying investment opportunities
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by an ability to get and communicate the big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but a good team player
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Open to feedback, mentoring, and growing within a supportive fund team and the larger AVG team
- Network within the venture community
- Participate in the identification of deal sourcing targets
- Support construction and evaluation of fund portfolio:
- Conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Evaluate ~25 companies per week resulting in deep-dives on 3-5 per month and investment into ~25 per year to create a balanced portfolio across industry/sector, stage and geography
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers
- Work closely with AVG sibling funds to identify mutual interesting investment opportunities
- Manage deal flow and related database inputs
- Develop and maintain proprietary deal and market intelligence
- Orchestrate and execute Investment Committee meetings
- Prep and distribute due diligence packages for the Investment Committee (IC) and AVG sibling funds to review
- Present companies and respond to Managing Partner, Partner, and LP questions
- Help supervise back-end functions like moving deals through closing, monitoring historical portfolios, and tracking statistics for the team
- Contribute positively to AVG's culture
- Base Salary
- Carried Interest
- Equity in AVG
- Competitive Benefits
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.