Managing Partner-Future Opportunities
NOTE: Future Opportunity posts do not reflect current, open positions at AVG but is intended to provide the opportunity for interested professionals to submit their candidacy at the level they believe is the most appropriate for their experience. We appreciate your interest in AVG and will keep your resume on hand for roles which may be appropriate in the future.
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization with 100 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of over 400,000 entrepreneurs, investors, and supporters. We are disrupting financial services by bringing smart, simple venture capital investing options to 15 million accredited investors who currently do not have a good option to enter the asset class. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, Manchester, NH, New York City, Chicago, San Francisco and Austin, TX. On an annual basis, these teams raise funds from their respective communities to invest in diverse, promising startups and growing businesses. Our key competitive advantage as an investor is the combined scale and connectivity of our vast network, our connected capital, which provides capital, sources deals and adds unique value for our portfolio companies. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds to date and will build another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for-profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG continues to grow, we continually seek experienced investment professionals with strong school ties who can contribute to both driving our community (fundraising, community engagement, and relationship development) and our investing (sourcing, recruiting, researching, and evaluating deals) capabilities.
Managing Partners are full-time professionals at AVG based out of our New York, Chicago, Boston or San Francisco offices. As Managing Partner, you will report to and work closely with the Investment Team Board (comprised of AVG’s CEO, CIO, CCO, and COO) and lead the growth and development of one of our Core Funds. These are salaried positions, with a comprehensive benefits package and some travel as defined by the iTeam Board for the successful execution of your responsibilities.
Please note that we will contact candidates we are interested in speaking with as opportunities relevant to your skills and experience are identified.
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA preferred
- Significant VC capital or private equity investing experience preferred
- Ability and willingness to build community and raise capital
- Entrepreneurial DNA
Requirements for an Ideal Candidate
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated interest and experience in entrepreneurism and emerging companies
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Exceptional networker, with an ability to grow our system and process for identifying deals
- Strong writer and communicator, an excellent listener
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by the ability to get and communicate the big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but good team player and personnel manager
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Strong teamwork with HQ teams to achieve goals, compliance, and open communication
- Strong research and analytical skills, particularly in the area of venture investing
- Experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Familiarity with deal structuring and closing (i.e. ability to read, analyze, and assess term sheets)
- Networking prowess to identify and utilize experts that can be consulted on deals, industries and markets
- Exceptional financial and venture acumen
- Ability to quickly garner credibility, respect, and trust from complete strangers
- High level of gravitas and understanding of how the venture community functions and AVG’s place within it
- Domain expertise in an area of interest is preferred
- Strong fundraising skills and ability to excel in all aspects of holding meetings, taking calls, follow-up, and closing
- Nurture your community by holding meetings, attending events, working with HQ
- With CCO and VP of Marketing, work to establish specific fundraising goals
- Community Building
- Superior relationship development/management skills with comfort and desire to regularly interact with potential community members
- Track record of being able to build meaningful relationships
- Ability to turn a meaningful community member into an engaged investor through strong communication and repeated demonstration of AVG’s value
- Strong influence and connections within your alumni community and university ecosystem
- Experience and comfort engaging with professionals in academia
Role / Responsibilities
- Meet and exceed regular, periodic goals as established by HQ and all appropriate functional departments (i.e. Community, Office of Investments, etc.).
- Establish, manage, and grow personal relationships with fellow alumni throughout the venture community and well beyond
- Identify top-tier deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help cement deal flow for the fund
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including the company teams, competitors, and customers
- Help oversee and manage due diligence
- Manage the team, directing, coaching, and mentoring the fund’s second chair.
- Work directly the funds’ second chair on pipeline management and deal opportunities
- Drive all IC-related matters
- Present companies to Investment Committee, and respond to IC, CIO and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate IC meetings
- Lead and close conversations and meetings with Fund investors
- Serve as the primary face of the fund, and help drive community growth, strength, and effectiveness
- Work directly with the AVG portfolio companies to develop a strong relationship to facilitate future investment opportunities
- Lead investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Engage with and support our Fellows, provide mentorship and leverage their time to support fund activities
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
- Be an exceptional teammate and partner for the fund, your sister funds, and fellow colleagues
- Adhere to AVG policies and procedures regarding conduct, job performance, information management and administrative functions, communicating appropriately regarding any need for exceptions
- Assist in the coaching of junior resources
- Help to build a positive relationship with your fund’s targeted school
- Base Salary
- Carried Interest
- Equity in AVG
- Competitive Benefits
Alumni Ventures Group is an equal opportunity employer and our team is committed to achieving and supporting a diverse workforce through fair and equitable Talent and people management practices. We consider applicants for all positions given the needs of our business and the relevant team, and the skills, experience and competencies each candidate brings. If you are excited about the work AVG is doing and believe your skills, experience and competencies can create impact for our team, our Limited Partners and our portfolio companies, we encourage you to apply. Your candidacy will be considered based on your ability to add value, regardless of your race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.