AVG Basecamp MBA Associate
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing venture capital firm with 100 employees located in NYC, Boston, SF, Manchester, NH, Chicago, and Austin, TX. We are disrupting VC by bringing smart, simple venture capital portfolios to the 13 million accredited American investors who don’t have venture portfolios. With $250MM AUM, 300+ portfolio companies and 15+ funds, AVG is one of the most exciting and innovative venture capital funds in the country.
AVG’s Basecamp Fund is a $30MM dedicated pre-seed and seed-stage fund that invests in audacious entrepreneurs alongside leading institutional venture funds, accelerators, and angels. AVG Basecamp is seeking an MBA Associate to help support the fund’s rapid growth. This is a unique opportunity to support AVG in identifying, vetting, and closing top pre-seed and seed deals within a newly launched, high-visibility investment vehicle.
Reporting to the Basecamp Managing Partner, the MBA Associate will leverage exceptional analytical, project management, organizational, and networking skills to support the rapid growth and success of Basecamp. This is an ideal role for candidates looking to gain exposure to the venture capital industry and actively participate in the investment process.
This is a part-time, unpaid position that can be completed remotely, but for applicants located in one of the above cities. You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Identify and research potential pre-seed and seed investment opportunities, develop and maintain the deal pipeline
- Vet potential deal opportunities that align with AVG’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors, customers, etc.
- Help support and execute due diligence memos and Investment Committee processes
- Present companies and work closely and collaboratively with the Basecamp Managing Partner, Associates and the AVG Office of Investing
- Attend relevant networking events to facilitate deal sourcing efforts
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about AVG Basecamp and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
In addition to being strongly motivated to build a career in venture investing, our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- Direct venture capital investing, start-up leadership or applicable prior professional experience
- Current MBA student.
- 3 - 5 years of prior professional experience
Skills and strengths
- High energy and unflinching work ethic
- Entrepreneurial empathy and respect for early-stage start-up founders.
- Exceptional non-transactional, long-term relationship building ability
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, organizational, and writing skills
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate, and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity, and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community, including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Familiarity with typical venture capital deal structures, terms, and industry practices
- Knowledge and interest in current technology, trends, and developments
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Adept at organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data; notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy
- Leverages impeccable communication skills to collaborate with and address a diverse and sophisticated audience