Office of Investments, Principal | Manchester, NH
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing venture capital firm with 100 employees located in Boston, Manchester, NH, NYC, Chicago, SF and Austin, TX. We are disrupting VC by bringing smart, simple venture capital portfolios to the 13 million accredited American investors who don’t have venture portfolios. Our secret sauce is our connected capital of over 400,000 alumni who provide capital, source deals, and add value to portfolio companies. On an annual basis, our teams raise a fund from their respective communities to venture with strong potential and exceptional lead investors. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG looks forward, we seek to grow and create value – with the goal of eventually becoming the most strategically valuable venture capital firm in the world. Our Office of Investment supports AVG investing with process development and a variety of other programs and initiatives. We are now hiring a Principal to join the AVG team in our Office of Investments with a particular focus on identifying, vetting, nurturing, and preparing investments in the best companies where AVG has previously made an investment. This is a unique opportunity to support AVG in all aspects of investing, reporting directly to the Chief Investment Officer and working closely with the other OOI team members as well as AVG’s Managing Partners for our Core Funds.
This full-time salaried position located in AVG’s Headquarters and includes a comprehensive benefits package. The position is based out of Manchester, NH with some travel (10-25%) required to execute on the responsibilities of your position. You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly fast-pace and collaborative environment.
- Monitor and evaluate the AVG portfolio (approximately 350 companies)
- Identify and research potential top investment opportunities within the portfolio for custom relationship development
- Develop and maintain deal funnel, assist with due diligence and investment committee processes, and deal closing potential deal opportunities that align with AVG’s investment mandate, including interviewing company teams, competitors, customers, etc.
- Support the development, documentation, and implementation of processes that improve the number of potential deals considered and the number of qualified deal opportunities available to the investment teams
- Help develop and manage regular reporting on portfolio progress by working across the AVG team to track and support proper investment operations process from due diligence through liquidity events
- Educate portfolio companies about AVG and our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Work closely with colleagues at all of AVG’s funds to identify mutually interesting investment opportunities
- Support the preparation and distribution of due diligence packages for the Investment Committee (IC)
- Present companies and work closely and collaboratively with teammates in the AVG Office of Investing
- Assist with investor relations and potential outreach
- Assist with back-end functions as needed
- Contribute positively to AVG's culture
In addition to being strongly motivated to build a career in venture investing, our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- Direct venture investing experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA likely
- 5-10 years of experience in financial services/venture capital and the startup space, including specific experience sourcing deals or raising capital
Skills and strengths
- High energy and work ethic
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, organizational, and writing skills
- Ability to quickly comprehend, evaluate, and critique a venture’s business model, market opportunity, and team
- Awareness of the venture capital community, including leading investment funds and partners, historical successes and failures
- Familiarity with typical venture capital deal structures, terms, and industry practices
- Knowledge and interest in current technology, trends, and developments
- A professional presence combined with relationship and communication skills to interact effectively with internal and external parties
- A highly-motivated, self-starter with the ability to work independently within a team context
- Demonstrated interest and experience in emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Eager to learn with a passion for the impact of technology across sectors
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and execute on processes while working with diverse and/or remote stakeholders
- Can shift priorities, leverage resources, communicate, and multi-task effectively to ensure that critical objectives are met
- Can identify networking opportunities and quickly establish relationships, both internally and externally, and effectively leverage those connections to support organizational objectives
- Adept at organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data; notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy
- Leverages impeccable communication skills to collaborate with and address a diverse and sophisticated audience