Office of Investment, Portfolio Services Associate
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing organization with over 90 employees across the country and a widespread, engaged community of over 400,000 entrepreneurs, investors, and supporters. We are disrupting venture capital with our smart, simple product offerings: alumni and focused funds that provide individual, accredited investors access to venture investing. Our corporate headquarters in Manchester, NH provides back-office support and resources to our fund teams in Boston, New York, Chicago, and San Francisco. On an annual basis, these teams raise funds from their respective communities to invest in diverse, promising startups and growing businesses. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds to date and will build another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
Alumni Venture Group’s current AUM exceeds $250M across a diversified portfolio of over 300 companies. Our key competitive advantage as an investor is the combined scale and connectivity of our vast network, our Connected Capital. Connected Capital provides unique value to our portfolio companies as we strategically identify and engage individuals in our network who then help our portfolio companies drive revenue, build talented teams and promote their products. Our Portfolio Services team’s mission is to create this connectivity for our PortCos and thereby to build AVG’s brand as a differentiated, multi-faceted, value-add investor and increasing our access to quality deal flow.
As AVG continues to grow and create value, with the goal of eventually becoming the most strategically valuable venture capital firm in the world, we are looking for a Portfolio Services Associate who will work within the Office of Investing under the general supervision of the Chief Investment Officer and reporting directly to the VP of Portfolio Services.
This is a full-time position located in AVG’s Manchester, NH, headquarters with some travel required (approx. 5-10%). You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly collaborative environment.
- Contribute to the development and manage the day-to-day processes that drive value from AVG’s community to our growing portfolio of over 300 companies:
- Produce ‘Network Maps’ and identify leads for companies from AVG’s community
- Work collaboratively with portfolio companies to identify and prioritize connections
- Source Talent from within AVG’s network of university relationships, job-seekers, and first-degree referrals
- Manage queue of all value-add connection campaigns, log all inbound portfolio company ‘asks,’ tracking and documenting through completion
- Serve as the liaison between Portfolio Services and AVG’s network of 400K community members:
- Nurture relationships with high-priority sub-groups of the AVG community (e.g., Fortune 500 executives, Expert Network, job seekers, etc)
- Attend community events and facilitate portfolio company engagement
- Help Build AVG’s Brand as a Value-Add Investor
- Identify and develop anecdotes and case studies of AVG value-add initiatives that demonstrate the value of AVG portfolio services
- Help develop general marketing collateral to share with investment opportunities
- Develop custom examples of AVG’s value-add to share with investment opportunities
- Work Collaboratively and Emphasize Teamwork and Continuous Improvement
- Initiate and contribute to process improvements related to streamlining and scaling the department’s activities
- Work with the VP of Portfolio Services to determine and execute on ambitious objectives that help Portfolio Services achieve objectives and support AVG’s mission
- Communicate proactively and in the interest of AVG, contribute to our iterative and collaborative work culture by sharing successes and supporting departmental goals
- Assist with Portfolio Monitoring
- Provide support in developing and facilitating training and process around management and reporting of value-add activities
- Support the organization and maintenance of a database of information on portfolio companies
Our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- Advanced business degree (MBA) preferred, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field required
- 5+ years of experience in B2B sales and/or business development within the startup space, including specific experience acquiring enterprise customers
- Has the experience and ability to bring business to and help grow AVG’s network and Investment Team capabilities
Skills and strengths
- Demonstrated ability to manage project and process implementation across multiple and/or remote teams
- Can identify and diagnose issues, shift priorities, leverage resources, communicate and multi-tasks effectively to ensure that critical objectives are always met
- Can use multiple communication styles and vehicles to ensure that messaging is received as intended and is clear about follow-up and next steps
- Can identify networking opportunities and quickly establish relationships, both internally and externally, and effectively leverage those connections to support organizational objectives
- Comfortable and effective in designing process, organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data. Notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy.
- Can generate engagement and compliance through enthusiastic support, collaborative behaviors, and effective communication of vision and value.