HR Business Partner, Investment Teams
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing, 80-person organization that builds and manages alumni and focused venture capital funds. Our corporate headquarters, located in Manchester, NH, provides back-office support and other resources to our funds across the country. On an annual basis, these funds raise money from accredited individuals to invest in venture and alternative assets. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds over the past four years and is looking to launch another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG continues to grow, we are further developing our organizational capacity and capability, including our Investing Teams. The Human Resource Business Partner supports the Investment Team at AVG with the full spectrum of HR services. This person reports directly to the Chief People Officer, while working closely with the Chief Investment Officer (spending 75% of his/her time with Investment Teams). The HR Business Partner will assist with recruiting, on-boarding, training, career development, feedback, and communication to support the success of the Investment team.
This is a full-time position located in AVG’s Manchester, NH, headquarters with some travel required (approx. 25-35%) to collaborate with team members in our regional offices (Boston, NY, Chicago, and SF). You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly collaborative environment.
- This is a broad-spectrum HR function, covering all aspects of Investment Team HR needs
- Work with the HR team to plan, identify, and engage resources for and facilitate the recruitment, onboarding, training and professional development of investment team members
- Work with Investment team managers to identify and help develop and support training and professional development materials, systems, and opportunities for the team members
- Provide coaching and career development program support to Investment Team members to address specific people and business challenges while providing ongoing development opportunities in line with AVG’s PeopleBuilder philosophy and structures
- Help to identify, refine, document, share, and support AVG Investment team best practices through effective HR counsel and process
- Develop and implement a framework for communication for a geographically diverse investment team, detailing communication responsibilities and ensuring and supporting effective processes for timely, appropriate communication throughout the organization
- Manage the AVG Fellows for Investment Teams and support the successful management of those remote team members
Our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field
- 5-7 years of experience in a variety of client-facing Human Resource position, including experience working directly with senior leadership
- 3-5 years of experience in financial services; venture capital experience preferred but not required
- Working knowledge of multiple Human Resource disciplines gained from experience in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Proven ability to quickly gain credibility and partner collaboratively with business partners to achieve goals while honoring existing frameworks and requirements
Skills and strengths
- Deep understanding of HR best practices and ability to act as a thought leader, capable of leveraging existing frameworks and practices and building new approaches to address unique business needs
- Easily relate to and communicate with all levels of the organization as well as various stakeholders in person or remotely
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Strong writer and communicator; excellent listener
- High level of integrity and emotional intelligence coupled with demonstrated ability to practice discretion
- Willingness to leverage resources and experiences to find approaches that support leadership and empower teams
- Ability to generate buy-in while remaining capable of ensuring compliance and enforcing practices