Vice President, Investment Operations | Office of Investment
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing, 80-person organization that builds and manages alumni and focused venture capital funds. Our corporate headquarters, located in Manchester, NH, provides back-office support and other resources to our funds across the country. On an annual basis, these funds raise money from accredited individuals to invest in venture and alternative assets. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds over the past four years and is looking to launch another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG continues to grow, we are further developing our organizational capacity and capability including our Office of Investment. We are actively seeking a Vice President of Investment Operations who will lead our investment process operations. Reporting to the Chief Investment Officer, success for the VP of Investment Operations means efficient management of a process that moves investments from sourcing all the way through liquidity events (in collaboration with the VP of Portfolio Services) and ensures compliance with the AVG investment mandate.
This is a full-time position located in AVG’s Manchester, NH, headquarters with some travel required (approx. 0-5%). You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly collaborative environment.
- Build and maintain Investment Operations processes and structures that effectively manage investments through the deal funnel—from potential deals introduced by Sourcing through due-diligence and scoring, Investment Committee meetings, reporting, closings, and liquidity events
- Develop systems that automate, communicate, train on, and enforce compliance with the Investing Operations processes and AVG investment mandate
- Develop and manage additional best practices and processes to support deal funnels
- Oversee the AVG scorecard system:
- Ensure team members are trained on and leveraging the scorecard effectively
- Maintain a record of potential deal opportunities considered and their scores in relation to optimal scores and profiles of the AVG investment mandate
- Develop and maintain an index of optimal scores and profiles for potential deal opportunities that align with the AVG investment mandate
- Review and analyze scorecard data to further refine the AVG investment mandate and inform changes to Sourcing and Investment Operations processes
- Communicate and oversee an effective due diligence process for potential deal opportunities
- Work closely with Finance, Investor Relations, and Fund Accounting to properly manage liquidity events at portfolio companies
- Track, manage, and report on data related to scorecards, due diligence, carried interest, deal selection, and liquidity events
- Manage deal allocations for all AVG funds
- Support successful handoff of new portfolio companies to Portfolio Services following completion of deal; work closely with Portfolio Services to evaluate potential follow-on rounds
Our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- 4-5 years of experience managing investment operations or comparable field
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a STEM-based curriculum
Skills and strengths
- Ability to identify critical elements of a process and build and implement smart, efficient solutions to support goals – ideally leveraging this skill in developing a process and compliance around an investment thesis
- Can effectively communicate process, requirements, expectations, and next steps to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to engage team members to achieve goals and organizational effectiveness, working both collaboratively with team members and independently as needed
- Exceptional time-management
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with proven initiative
- Strong writer and communicator; excellent listener
- Demonstrated ability to identify, track, and evaluate information at critical data points and leverage analytical skills to make business decisions that drive successful outcomes
- Expertise regarding data models and analysis, database design development, data mining and segmentation techniques