Office of Investment, Senior Manager
Alumni Ventures Group is a fast-growing, 80-person organization that builds and manages alumni and focused venture capital funds. Our corporate headquarters, located in Manchester, NH, provides back-office support and other resources to our funds across the country. On an annual basis, these funds raise money from accredited individuals to invest in venture and alternative assets. AVG has successfully launched 25 venture funds over the past four years and is looking to launch another dozen or so funds over the next few years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
As AVG continues to grow, we are further developing our organizational capacity and capability, including our Office of Investment. The Senior Manager wears many hats to support the work of the department, including the VP of Sourcing, the VP of Portfolio, and the VP of Investment Operations. Reporting to the Chief Investment Officer, the Senior Manager supports the operations of the Investment Team, prioritizing work and resources to help the Office of Investment reach goals in Sourcing, Operations, and Portfolio Services.
This is a full-time position located in AVG’s Manchester, NH, headquarters with some travel required (approx. 5-10%). You will work with an incredibly talented group of individuals in a highly collaborative environment.
- Research potential deal opportunities, stakeholders, and trends across all sectors and stages
- Identify and engage those potential deal opportunities that align with AVG’s investment mandate
- Contribute to the development of deal flow and co-investor networks; monitor and ensure the timely and effective communication and engagement with those network members
- Support the development, documentation and implementation of processes that improve the number of potential deals considered and the number of qualified deal opportunities available to the investment teams
- Help develop and manage regular reporting on sourcing activities and effectiveness
- Play a critical role in managing the handoff of potential deal opportunities from Sourcing to Investment Operations
- Serve as an ambassador and point of contact for deal teams regarding the AVG investment mandate and application of that mandate to deal evaluation
- Provide support in developing and facilitating training and process around the deal scorecard; track and report on scorecard use and engagement
- Work across deal teams to track and support proper investment operations process from due diligence through liquidity events
- Work closely with Finance, Investor Relations, and Fund Accounting to facilitate the effective management of liquidity events
- Play a critical role in managing the handoff of newly determined portfolio companies to Portfolio Services following the completion of the deal
- Map the AVG network of connections, identify and record opportunities to leverage members for value-add purposes as well as identify opportunities to provide those value-add services based on network knowledge
- Help to leverage “case studies” of AVG value-add initiatives that demonstrate the value of AVG portfolio services
- Support the organization and maintenance of a database of information on portfolio companies
Our ideal candidate has many of these traits.
- Advanced business degree (MBA) preferred, a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field required
- 5+ years of experience in financial services/venture capital and the startup space, including specific experience sourcing deals or raising capital
- Has the experience and ability to bring business to and help grow AVG’s network and Investment Team capabilities
Skills and strengths
- Demonstrated ability to manage project and process implementation across multiple and/or remote teams
- Can identify and diagnose issues, shift priorities, leverage resources, communicate and multi-tasks effectively to ensure that critical objectives are always met
- Can use multiple communication styles and vehicles to ensure that messaging is received as intended and is clear about follow-up and next steps
- Can identify networking opportunities and quickly establish relationships, both internally and externally, and effectively leverage those connections to support organizational objectives
- Comfortable and effective in designing process, organizing, analyzing, and reporting on data. Notices and addresses important details with a high degree of accuracy.
Can generate engagement and compliance through enthusiastic support, collaborative behaviors, and effective communication of vision and value.