Principal at Blue Ivy Ventures, a Venture Fund for Alumni of Yale University
We're seeking a full-time Venture Principal with a track record of success who can source, recruit, research, and evaluate venture/ growth stage opportunities on behalf of our venture capital fund. Our organization, Alumni Ventures Group, manages venture capital funds for top-tier alumni groups (Dartmouth, Harvard, Stanford, MIT, and others), as well as a series of focused funds available to the accredited investor community. We have a tested playbook, processes, staff, and proprietary systems to help our teams raise, invest, and successfully manage a fund. We are private, for profit, and not part of any University.
You'll be joining a fast-paced, professional, entrepreneurial environment where you'll have significant input into the creation of a unique portfolio amassing highly valuable strategic assets in an exciting new area of technology.
You will report directly to and work closely with our Blue Ivy Managing Partner out of our Greater Boston area office, with some travel as required by the role. This is a full-time, salaried position, with carry, and benefits as part of the compensation package.
- Must be a Yale graduate
- Direct investing experience
- Entrepreneurial DNA
- Top-Tier MBA Degree
Requirements for an ideal candidate
- Strong research and analytical skills, particularly in the area of venture investing
- Excellent work ethic and professional demeanor
- Demonstrated interest and experience in entrepreneurism and emerging companies, and experience in company research and due diligence preparation
- Experience successfully managing multiple, complex projects at the same time
- Strong writer and communicator, excellent listener, with superior sales skills and comfort regularly interacting with strangers
- Good networker, with an ability to grow our system and process for identifying deals
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, balanced by ability to get and communicate big picture
- Self-starter and independent manager, but good team player and personnel manager
- Smart, creative thinker and problem-solver, fast learner, with demonstrated initiative
- Database management and strong technical and social media experience a big plus
- Network with alums in the venture community
- Identify deal resources and conduct outreach to VCs, entrepreneurs, incubators, and more to help fill our deal pipeline with prospects
- Educate deal sources and companies/entrepreneurs about our process and effectively manage relationships in a professional, courteous manner
- Research and evaluate each company and industry as a potential investment, including interviewing company teams, competitors, and customers
- Recruit, train, and manage interns/fellows to help support deal outreach and research
- Prep and distribute due diligence packages
- Present companies and respond to Managing Partner and LP questions, run deal meetings, and orchestrate IC meetings
- Help create and manage our company database, monitoring prospects on an ongoing basis
- Assemble and update CRM on companies and entrepreneurs
- As requested, assist with investor relations and potential investor outreach
- Help supervise back-end functions as needed
- Suggest improvements to our approach, process, products, and services
Alumni Ventures Group (AVGfunds.com), formerly Launch Angels, is a dynamic, rapidly growing organization that builds and manages alumni venture capital. We pride ourselves on making a key asset class accessible to investors who were previously shut out of venture capital—and our rapid growth attests that we are addressing a real pain point for alumni investors. Our Manchester, NH, headquarters provides back office support (e.g., IT, HR, Finance, Marketing, etc.) and other shared resources to all our funds, located throughout the country. Unlike most VC funds that raise money from a handful of institutions, our funds raise money in smaller amounts from a large group of alumni. Our deal teams then invest in a diverse portfolio of venture deals connected to alumni entrepreneurs of the same school. We don’t lead deals, but rather co-invest alongside top firms such as KP, Bessemer, Menlo Ventures, Mark Cuban, Khosla, NEA, and others. We offer funds for alumni at Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Penn, MIT, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Stanford, and Berkeley—with plans to grow to 20 schools and 5 independent funds in the next 2-3 years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.