Director of Marketing
We're looking for an experienced performance-driven B2C marketing manager to play a key role in our growing Boston, MA office. Specifically, our headquarters provides back office support along with other shared resources to our funds, located around the country so that our deal teams may execute at the highest level. These funds raise money directly from alumni, then invest that capital back into entrepreneurs connected with their college or university. Currently, we have launched funds with alumni from 9 Universities across the country (Dartmouth, Northwestern, Harvard, Penn, MIT, Yale, Wisconsin, Stanford, and Berkeley) with plans to grow to 30 schools in the coming 1-2 years. We are private, for profit, and not part of any school.
You'll be joining a fast-paced, professional, and entrepreneurial environment, where you'll have the opportunity to grow with the company, work with a talented team, and help bring the Alumni Ventures brand to new alumni communities across the country. This is a salaried position with competitive benefits based in our Waltham, MA office.
- College degree required and MBA or Graduate Degree Preferred.
- Minimum of 3-7 years of marketing experience
- Have extensive experience working with sophisticated/ senior level clientele
- A strong familiarity with venture capital and entrepreneurship
- A background in consumer insights and B2C marketing
- Business oriented, performance-driven marketer
- Great work ethic and attitude
- Ability to work with smart, driven colleagues
- Confident but good team player
- A high level of poise and professionalism
- Good listener with the ability to simultaneously empathize and be persuasive.
- Strong interest in learning
- Project Management
- Experience in leading “greenfield” projects where you are given an idea and have to figure out all of the different options available to executing, consider all implications from a variety of stakeholder’s perspectives, choose the correct path for execution, and communicate your findings to colleagues.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage several projects with little oversight
- Ability to multi-task across one-offs and larger, long-term projects
- Superb written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to serve several different internal customers at the same time
- Strong focus on process, organization, and reporting.
- Background in online customer acquisition: digital advertising on many platforms, digital growth hacking, viral and social community growth, creative direct online outreach tactics, group webinars
- B2C marketing experience with a focus on high net worth, sophisticated customers
- Knowledge of cutting edge marketing software, terminology, and analytics tools
- Ability to build marketing campaigns and develop/write sales content for specific targeted personas
- Strong experience in segmenting and targeting different audiences in CRMs and marketing automation software. HubSpot experience is a plus.
- Budget Oversight & Analytics
- Experience projecting and managing department budgets
- Highly quantitative. Metric driven. Desire and ability to measure everything.
- Advanced Excel skills required. Ability and desire to structure data collection in a clean, presentable, and scalable fashion is a must.
- Deep experience with Pivot Tables and advanced functions is required. Experience building custom macros is a plus.
- Startup Experience
- Experience going through hyper-growth in a startup environment
- Strong management skills/experience within a growing team
- Excited about the prospects of growth associated with joining our team
- Adept at managing up, with colleagues, and down the organization
- Ensuring that a pre-determined set of our ventures funds are successful in their fundraises, measured (among other things) by community growth, # of prospect calls generated, and # of signed investors
- Serve as main point of contact for the Managing Partners of the funds you’re responsible for, and work directly with them to drive success
- Own the end-to-end marketing plans for several funds. Work with the CMO, VP of Marketing and functional experts to execute the playbook, and yet tailor marketing plans to each specific fund and community. Be an owner and expert on applying every part of our marketing engine to the funds you own:
- Digital outreach
- Digital advertising
- Print advertising
- Direct Mail
- Email Marketing
- Be the expert on the specific investor community for each of your funds. Develop community insights and adjust marketing plans to more effectively and efficiently acquire investors in your communities.
- Research, evaluate, develop, and implement new lead acquisition and qualification strategies to add to the existing marketing stack
- Help to define how we scale to support our growing number of funds
- Lead and contribute to projects as needed
- Work intimately with other members of our Marketing and Communications Departments
- Be an active participant in the improvement process as it relates to our approach, process, products, and services