Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, D.C., the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere's experts span 230 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers. By combining technical capabilities with Life Sciences industry experience, we want Avalere to create and execute unmatched market offerings to solve our clients' business issues.
Avalere Health is seeking a Senior Associate / Consultant I to join the new Life Sciences Sales function within our Client Solutions practice. This team member will identify new business opportunities and client prospects, build initial and enduring relationships with customers, manage the sales process from identification to contract execution, and play a significant role in building the firm. The role requires applying domain expertise, surfacing and exploring key issues of relevance to Life Sciences companies, conceptualizing projects with clients, and leading internal initiatives to contribute significantly to the firm's strategic goals. This role will have three primary job responsibilities, including identification of new clients and their needs, matching those needs with Avalere capabilities, and exhibiting sales process excellence. The position will lead high-priority initiatives and collaborate with colleagues to explore and uncover business needs to deliver and grow new business.
This client-facing role will:
- Optimize business development with new clients by targeting Avalere’s subject matter expertise and capabilities to key functional areas (Government Affairs & Public Policy, Managed Markets, HEOR, Medical Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, Brand/Therapeutic Area Teams, Research & Development, and Training).
- Serve as an advocate for prospective client needs and collaborate with experts across Avalere practices to offer solutions to prospective Life Sciences clients (pharmaceutical/biotech drug manufacturers and medical device and diagnostic companies).
- Make substantive contributions to establishing new client relationships and proposal/pitch materials by understanding new client needs.
- Deploy experience and expertise in relevant areas of focus and be committed to delivering cutting edge solutions to our clients.
As a team member, the Senior Associate / Consultant I will lead and maintain contact with new client prospects, including senior level executives. They must be highly successful at cultivating and developing relationships and serve as a trusted advisor. The ideal team member will have superior organizational skills, oral and written communication skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to work effectively across multiple projects/people in a fast-paced and highly collaborative setting. A deep understanding of healthcare market issues and a commitment to advancing the Avalere vision and voice in this marketplace is critical. Additionally, the ability to translate the complex and often detailed concepts into understandable and commercially relevant points for clients is essential.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
New Client Business Development
- Contributes to setting quarterly and annual BD goals and measuring progress against those goals
- Creates a business development plan (BD) targeting specific life sciences clients and buying centers to meet those goals
- Organizes pursuit teams; participate and lead aspects of the proposal development process; contribute to the development of proposal pricing strategies
- Leverages existing collateral and customizes BD materials and presentations for prospects to demonstrate compelling value propositions
- Collaborates actively with life sciences sales team, account management teams, and practice teams to identify, understand and optimize the development of new opportunities
- Proactively anticipates customer needs based on industry developments and guides firm investment in new areas
- Conducts market intelligence to understand key competitors
- Represents Avalere and builds relationships with prospective clients at events selected to increase Avalere market visibility (such as webinars, podcasts and industry conferences)
- Contributes to firm visibility and marketing campaigns to support buying center goals
Sales Process Management
- Triage leads from marketing team to identify new potential prospects
- Manage internal process of developing proposal, pitch, SOW, and other relevant collateral by drafting initial versions and collaborating with practices, sales operations, finance, and legal to review contracts in an efficient and timely manner
- Supports team in new client engagement planning, collaborating to bring together the optimal team and content drawn from across the organization to maximize the chances of success
- Ensures the update and consistent, accurate use of CRM based on client and prospect interactions
- Establishes and maintains relationships with key decision makers at new clients that facilitates buy-in of proposed solutions from senior management levels
- Bachelor’s degree (and/or equivalent years of experience) and a minimum of two to six years of professional experience working within healthcare, with preference for a focus on life sciences
- Knowledge of healthcare issues and the life sciences industry
- Experience in a sales role for advisory services, consulting, or related services in healthcare preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, highly professional presence; able to interact with board-level and C-level executives
- Maintain compliance with Inovalon’s policies, procedures and mission statement;
- Adhere to all confidentiality and HIPAA requirements as outlined within Inovalon’s Operating Policies and Procedures in all ways and at all times with respect to any aspect of the data handled or services rendered in the undertaking of the position; and
- Fulfill those responsibilities and/or duties that may be reasonably provided by Inovalon for the purpose of achieving operational and financial success of the Employer.
Additional Skills & Competencies:
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive for identifying and fostering new business opportunities
- Experience in preparing and proofing documents for executive-level audience
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability to multi-task and can prioritize work streams effectively under deadline, with timely execution and resolution of action items
- Ethical, confident, and creative, with a persistent “can do” attitude
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationship with colleagues and clients to achieve solutions-oriented goals
- Proactive mindset and approach: able to think several steps ahead to client conversions, anticipate teammates’ needs, and suggest improvements to existing processes
- Open to feedback and learning; willing to coach and teach others
- Familiar with developing and maintaining sales plans, managing multiple initiatives/work streams simultaneously preferred
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills such as PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- In the future, following Public Health Emergency, willingness to travel up to 50%
Avalere Health is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
By embracing diversity, equity and inclusion we enhance our work environment and drive business success. Avalere strives to reflect the diversity of the communities where we operate and of our clients and everyone whom we serve. We endeavor to create a culture of inclusion in which our associates feel empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to work and pursue their professional goals in an equitable setting. We understand that by fostering this type of culture, and welcoming different perspectives, we generate innovation and growth.