At Autonomic, imagine a safer, more efficient, and sustainable transportation network. That’s why we are building the Transportation Mobility Cloud, an open platform that will connect the diverse components of urban mobility systems — connected vehicles, mass transit, pedestrians, city infrastructure, and service providers.
We are a group of passionate humans united in the shared mission of creating technology that will redefine the future of transportation. As an independent subsidiary of Ford Smart Mobility, we have an incredible amount of flexibility and support to accomplish that mission. We care very deeply about the quality of our products, and take personal responsibility to make sure our customers are thrilled with the results.
It's our people and teams that ultimately drive our success, so we are dedicated to building a culture where we all can thrive.
About the Team
We’re a team of engineers in Detroit that focus on building software to orchestrate metadata ingestion and communication with in-vehicle devices as they first connect to our platform. How do you orchestrate these complex, asynchronous workflows in a way that is highly available, fault tolerant, reliable, and capable of efficiently running at global scale?
These are the kinds of challenges our team is working on.
About the Role
We are seeking a senior-level software engineer to join our team working on vehicle onboarding orchestration for the Transportation Mobility Cloud. In particular, we are looking for people with these qualities:
- Experience building and maintaining large-scale, high-availability infrastructure components
- Deep understanding and experience with system internals for streaming platforms, such as Apache Kafka Streams, Flink, Beam, etc.
- A Systems-Thinking approach to problem solving and solution design
- The capability to lead and teach other team members, while also open to learning
- Eagerness to be hands-on, spending most of your time writing code to implement solutions
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, enough to learn the tough lessons and help the team avoid the pitfalls ahead
- Thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Self-directed, take initiative and excellent project management skills
- Professional, friendly and approachable at all times
- Sound understanding of OOP, OOD and Functional principles
- Experience with interchange formats + RPC (gRPC/Protobuf)
- Cloud Environments - Kubernetes and AWS
- Version Control - git
- Web Frameworks - Spring and Java
- Experience with reactive programming (RxJava, Akka, etc.)
You are a passionate, creative, and collaborative Senior Software Engineer with the vision to see where our technology is going – and the drive to roll up your sleeves and help implement the details.
Do most of these sound like you?
- You love building high-quality software products in an open, collaborative environment. In fact, you prefer working on teams with an iterative, agile approach where you are able to deploy to production multiple times a day.
- Collaboration means a lot to you, beyond just code reviews. You enjoy pair programming and hashing out designs as a team in front of a whiteboard. You understand that a phenomenal idea is no good if you can't communicate it clearly to others in your team room and across our offices in Palo Alto, Toronto, Seattle, or Shanghai.
- You stand by your code and are willing to support it in production. Our team members rotate 24/7 on-call support, so we write clean, well-tested software that keeps the system reliable and fault-tolerant.
- Software is more to you than just writing code. You want to be involved in all aspects of the product life cycle, from conceptual design and development to operations and support.
- You have helped build high performance distributed systems solving large scale engineering challenges, and are confident working with some of the tools and architectural patterns that support those. Microservices, AWS, Kafka, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL – no problem.
- You enjoy automated testing and are excited to learn more about test-driven development, synthetic/canary monitoring, and real-time alerts. You couldn't imagine living without a good test harness to catch any potential issues.
- Feedback is essential for continuous improvement, so you embrace both giving and receiving direct feedback with your team. This leads to better code, better collaboration, and more opportunities for growth.
- You operate with a high sense of urgency and are comfortable in a startup environment where each person pulls their weight and wears many hats.
- Working in downtown Detroit and being a part of its growing tech community excites you.
Our Statement Regarding Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity
Autonomic is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to fostering a diverse workforce, free from harassment and discrimination, in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Autonomic does not discriminate on the basis of any grounds prohibited by applicable laws. Autonomic’s equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination policies apply to all employees, all applicants for employment, and all aspects of the employment relationship.
Accommodations for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment processes, where needed, are available upon request. Please let us know if you need assistance completing or participating in the application process.
We consider diversity in our workforce to be an invaluable asset, and we strive to provide an inclusive work environment in which different ideas, perspectives, and beliefs are respected. It is the duty of every employee to assist Autonomic in maintaining this culture of inclusion.
Applicants who receive a job offer will undergo background checks. Autonomic complies with applicable laws regarding background checks, and applicants will be provided an opportunity to explain and correct any criminal history background information during the hiring process.
By submitting an application, I hereby certify that:
- I accurately disclosed all relevant information on this application and will, in the future, provide accurate information throughout the hiring process.
- I understand that any false statement, representation or omission of requested information may result in disqualification from employment with Autonomic, or, if discovered after I am hired, termination of employment.
- I understand the application is not an employment agreement, that (for U.S. locations only) employment with Autonomic is at will, and that employment is conditioned upon receipt of satisfactory background checks and provision of documentary proof of my legal right to work in the US or Canada, as applicable