At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. We're the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, and WooCommerce. We’re looking for a performance minded engineer to join our Jetpack team to work on bringing simple, powerful performance solutions to everyday WordPress websites via our Jetpack Boost product.
Jetpack is one of the most popular plugins for WordPress, with more than 5 million installations and a growing user base. Jetpack leverages the Automattic cloud infrastructure to deliver security, backup, speed, and growth to individual users and businesses, as well as major agencies and hosts. We just recently celebrated our ten year milestone and we’re excited for the next ten years!
We're a relatively new and growing team with the opportunity to have a substantial impact in performance of the open web! We need creative, dedicated engineers who care about the user experience on the web and are mindful of things like web performance, bundle size, core web vitals, etc.
Enough about us! Let's talk more about you. As a Performance Engineer you:
- Understand best practices for optimizing website performance and keen to explore new techniques for improving performance.
- Are interested in making website performance accessible to the open web.
- Have experience with making systems faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability, having experience with testing frameworks, performance and unit testing is very welcome.
- Are comfortable providing technical support and training to our users and Happiness Engineers as needed.
- Are comfortable with, or excited to learn about, systems engineering, networks, file transfer, databases, and monitoring.
Extra credit if you have:
- WordPress programming experience.
- Open source contributions.
- Experience in setting up sensible data collection, and able to explore and query it to inform product decisions.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in your future at Automattic:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily for hosted services, and at least monthly for on-premise/shipped software, with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
These are exciting times at Automattic and Jetpack. You’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Diversity, equity and inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
What to Expect
We know applying to jobs can be stressful and we want to ease the stress by giving clear expectations upfront about our process. We’ve outlined everything you need to know here including all of the steps in the process as well as how we approach hiring.
Please note that we are paying extra attention to your answers to the questions below. They are a significant part of the hiring process, and we will review them just like we would review any other step of the hiring process. We’re always iterating so if you happen to join us in the process, please feel free to offer feedback on what else we can include there!