Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That’s why we need intelligent, low ego, funny people to keep Tumblr growing. We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
What have we worked on recently?
- Gutenberg is a new block-level editor with clean abstractions for users, too, not just developers.
- Jetpack is a plugin that brings cloud-scale features to self-hosted sites and our latest addition is Rewind, think git for WordPress sites.
- WooCommerce is the most popular e-commerce platform on the web.
- Tumblr is a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. We recently launched our group chat feature, making it easier to find communities you’ve yet to discover.
- To view more of our recent work, check out our longer product list on Automattic.com.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Enough about us, let‘s talk more about you. The Technical Program Manager position might be a good fit if you:
- Enjoy working on distributed interdisciplinary teams to become a trusted partner, proactively driving definition and execution of features and products.
- Proactively monitor risks to anticipate issues and actively seek out, track, and remove barriers.
- Champion and support agile software development practices, and tailor processes (including communications, scrums, planning, review and retrospective sessions, demos and more) to each team.
- Are flexible in problem solving and handling uncertainty, adapting and changing as needed.
- Appreciate the discovery process, and are nimble in how you use your toolbox.
- Love to unite and motivate teams.
- Can own complex efforts and manage the risks.
- Enjoy the challenge of mediating between different interests, priorities, and personalities.
- Are an influencer who knows how to create or rally alignment and build consensus.
- Have at least 5 years of experience in a project management role at a technology company.
- Are thoughtful about product design, with good user experience instincts.
- Are open and able to travel 3-4 weeks per year to meet up with your teammates in person.
- Have experience working across different technologies - infrastructure, data, mobile, frontend or backend.
- Have knowledge of Atlassian products and how to customize them for your team’s needs.
- Experience with other project management software tools for project documentation, roadmaps, budgeting, or resource planning.
- SCRUM, PMP, LeSS, or SAFE certified.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
These are exciting times for Tumblr at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.