Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. That’s why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr growing. We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.
We’re looking for a Social Impact Lead to advance Tumblr’s social good and advocacy mission through integrated marketing campaigns and partner relationships. You’ll work across marketing, creative, media partnerships, and product teams to facilitate Tumblr social impact activations (from project brief through launch), to measurably lift Tumblr’s social good impact and growth marketing goals. In addition, you’ll work with our advertising partners and clients to help them ideate, create, and execute their social impact and CSR campaigns on Tumblr - connecting them with Tumblr’s core audience of users who are passionate about companies and brands that want to do good in the world.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to be a self-starter who takes initiative to plan and execute ambitious projects through to completion. You’ll need the ability to think strategically and execute methodically: You can ideate with stakeholders to come up with the best tactics to execute against your strategy, breakdown the required tasks, anticipate issues before they become roadblocks, and collaborate across the organization to execute. You’re a creative problem solver who can understand challenges facing both internal and external clients and stakeholders, anticipate needs and offer a fresh perspective. This role reports to our Head of Integrated Marketing.
- Establish and expand Tumblr’s social impact stakeholder reach including onboarding of key social good brands (individuals, NGOs, governments, clients, advertisers, etc.) and educating those brands about Tumblr’s audiences and effective use of Tumblr as their social impact home.
- Establish and manage a publishing schedule across brand communication channels for social good content including curating, writing, tracking and reporting on initiatives across owned Tumblrs, social, push, radar and promotional units, ensuring we maintain a consistent brand voice.
- Maintain the social good category of our marketing editorial calendar, communicate a vision and strategy for support of these dates to be executed across social channels and our owned blogs.
- Foster constructive relationships, and goodwill with domestic and global non-profit and advocacy organizations on critical reputational issues like mental/emotional health, racial justice and LGBTQ rights.
- Concept, create and execute activations that further our and our partners’ and clients’ social impact priorities, including strategic ideation and research, creating project briefs, organizing execution details across the org, and tracking and communicating progress.
- Measure and evaluate the impact of your work through data tracking, analysis and reporting on your efforts to help us iterate effectively as well as creating case studies, white papers, and best practices for social good campaigns for Tumblr and our partners.
- Work cross-functionally and collaborate with leads across marketing, creative, sales, media partnerships, and international to ensure that all social impact efforts are relevant and effective, including across our global audience.
- Have 5+ years of experience in social impact in public or private sector (digital and social media experience a plus!)
- Are an excellent project manager who can manage collaboration, creative ideation, execution and reporting for multiple projects simultaneously with strong attention to detail.
- Understand the social ecosystem, pop culture and how content moves in a socially-driven media environment and plan effective integrated marketing plans accordingly. A deep knowledge of Tumblr’s communities and its role as a platform within the social impact and CSR ecosystem is a plus.
- Are an effective cross-team collaborator, able to effectively communicate (both written and verbal) while prioritizing feedback from a variety of stakeholders.
- Have a passion for social impact and user communities.
- Are located in the United States.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1200 Automatticians in 75+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, fill out our application form below. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team and why you’d like to join Tumblr.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? Answer this question.
- Tumblr is introducing a new feature. Or, rather, an upgrade to an existing feature. Group messaging is ready to be released, and soon users will be able to hold a conversation with multiple participants. We’ll be telling them about this change through a few different venues. How would you tell our social impact partners about this new feature and encourage usage?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please make sure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.