We are the people behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce, and more. Automattic is a place like no other: our fast-growing band of 1200+ works as a distributed team across more than 70 countries, to democratize publishing and make the web a better place so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We are seeking a hardworking operations professional to coordinate our global corporate structure, and play a leading role in the many transactions (M&A, fundraising) that we do at Automattic.
This role is ideal for someone who loves to own and manage complex projects, has a keen eye for detail, and thrives on sensible, practical solutions. You’ll be an integral part of our team, managing projects across the full range of responsibilities of the legal and corporate development teams. This is not an “administrative” position: few things are more impactful than the successful execution and integration of the companies we acquire.
Some of your responsibilities will include: leading the integration of our acquired companies, coordinating our international entity structure (which is characterized by continual change and evolution, to keep pace with changing tax laws and business needs), supporting fundraising transactions, investor relations, and maintaining corporate compliance across the jurisdictions in which we do business.
Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context, and you will frequently be managing projects in non-US jurisdictions.
We’d love to hear from you if you:
- Have experience at a lean, fast-growing, fast-moving software, internet, or creative startup, large private company, a technology-focused public company, or at an investment fund.
- Work well in the context of a fast-paced environment: for example, you have worked on closing corporate financings, investments, or M&A transactions.
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills, including outstanding verbal and written skills in English.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Are scrupulous with details, and are adept at spotting inconsistencies and ferreting out anomalies.
- Have a passion for sophisticated, simple, automated solutions that keep operations running efficiently, and an ability to see opportunities for process improvement and the initiative to move forward with action.
- Prefer operating very independently, and are highly motivated to learn new things and improve your skills, and enjoy balancing an array of tasks.
- Are collaborative, and enjoy working with teams across Automattic, ranging from Business and Product teams, to our operations functions (HR, Legal, Accounting, and Finance).
- Excel at understanding complex topics and explaining them to others in clear, concise terms.
Bonus points if you have experience working on a distributed team, WordPress, software development, coding, or open-source. Though understanding of legal topics is useful, we are not looking for an attorney for this position; accounting or finance backgrounds would be helpful.
Diversity and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, fill out our application form below. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Please make sure to tell us about:
- A project that you are especially proud of, and why.
- A compliance issue you solved creatively.
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.