Newspack is seeking an experienced sales manager to drive lead generation, help shape our sales strategy and support our marketing efforts.
Newspack is part of Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, WordPress VIP and more. Our mission is to help independent news organizations publish great stories, develop a loyal audience and find a path to financial sustainability at a moment when local journalism faces immense challenges.
We do that by deploying a publishing solution, developed in partnership with the Google News Initiative and WordPress.com, that is tailored to the needs of digital news publishers, incorporates industry best practices, and provides best-in-class support.
In just over three years, more than 175 publications have joined Newspack, from venerable publications like Washington Monthly and Center for Public Integrity to vibrant digital startups like The Voice of SanDiego and MLK50.
As sales manager you will be a pivotal part of our sales operation, working directly with our partnership team and the wider Newspack business team to manage day-to-day operations, drive new business, help shape our sales strategy, and maintain our marketing materials.
- Work with the team to develop a strategy to drive increased sales
- Oversee day-to-day sales operations
- Vet prospects to ensure that they are a good fit for the service
- Help partnership managers move prospects through various stages of the sales pipeline and maintain a steady deal flow
- Lead weekly sales forecasting meetings
- Identify potential prospects via industry conferences, sponsorship opportunities, email marketing and content marketing campaigns
- Work with business leads to increase Newspack’s visibility across the industry and drive adoption of the platform
- Represent Newspack at industry events
- Produce and maintain sales and marketing collateral
- Evaluate our marketing materials and work with business leads and outside contractors to further professionalize our marketing presence
WE ARE SEEKING CANDIDATES WHO:
- Are familiar with WordPress and its use across the news industry
- Have worked with news organizations to develop their business and ad sales strategy
- Have demonstrated sales and marketing experience, with proven results
- Have a strong sense of organization and follow-through and are comfortable moving between strategic planning and day-to-day operations
- Are capable of taking initiative, being proactive, and driving business results without significant supervision
- Have excellent planning, time management and organizational skills
- Can communicate complex ideas effectively – verbally and in writing
We’re a distributed company with more than 2000 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.