WooCommerce is the most popular eCommerce platform on the web. We’re an open-source solution that allows users to customize every part of an online store. We have a huge footprint, but we’re a small company. That means everyone here has the opportunity to make a profound and lasting difference while helping store owners that rely on WooCommerce every day! Payments and payment partnerships are key to enabling and extending the capabilities of the WooCommerce platform and ecosystem.
As a leader for Payment Partnerships and Business Development, you’ll own defining our strategic direction and execution plans required to optimize our payment partnerships and associated commercial terms. You will play a hands-on role with your team in identifying, assessing, and negotiating new partnerships, as well as leading and optimizing existing partnerships, both in service to increasing payment capabilities for Woo and enabling growth! The ideal candidate for this role will deeply understand payments and the global acquiring and ecommerce landscape, be able to assess payment capabilities to best address the needs of WooCommerce and its merchants, have a consistent track record of building and leading teams, and negotiating and managing relationships at the C-Level.
- Translate business opportunity and product need to partner capabilities and lead all aspects of business development and partner management teams including: partner strategy, contracting and commercials, using comprehension of technical concepts and partner capabilities to ensure business case validation and product integration feasibility.
- Understand and navigate payment partner landscape with an eye toward identifying new technologies to integrate and enhance or create new offerings that increase customer value, reduce costs and/or provide critical underlying capabilities that will optimize payments performance.
- Build and lead a team of partnership managers and business development managers, providing a consultative partnership to infuse industry expertise and ensure alignment between execution and strategy.
- Implement frameworks and processes for partner evaluation and selection processes using industry benchmarks, competitive analysis, and financial modeling.
- Partner cross functionally to structure, negotiate and close financially viable agreements that navigate ideal outcomes between strategic flexibility and economics for WooCommerce.
- Adept at defining new processes and operating mechanisms to support day to day partner management and new partner recruitment across functions.
Experience & Qualifications:
- 10+ years of experience in the payments industry, specifically ideally in merchant services, acquiring, payment service provider aspects of payments (knowledge of payment network rules and interchange a plus).
- Proven track record with C-level partnership counterparts driving negotiations and crafting creative commercial terms that optimize for product integration and economics.
- Understanding of payment pricing, underlying cost structures of interchange and bank transfer costs.
- Strong product sense and comprehension for how technical payment capabilities are translated to product features and commercial terms.
- 10+ years of experience successfully building and developing high functioning globally dispersed teams.
- Comfortable leading through influence while able to build and design teams through recruitment and/or people development, especially through transformation.
- Able to apply analytical approach and curiosity to business problems to identify optimization opportunities and performance impacts.
- Thrives in ambiguity and in a fast paced environment.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.