We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, Tumblr, and WooCommerce. We're looking for a Senior Analytics Engineer to join our Tumblr team.
Communication with and empathy for our colleagues is a key part of this job - curiosity about the puzzles they face is a requirement. Data can be unruly: you’ll need to be prepared to face uncertainty and provide your best guess sometimes - our work is as much about cleaning and testing the legacy pipeline as it is about crafting excellent reporting and solving business problems.
As a data scientist/analyst you will:
- Build data pipelines and reports that deliver meaningful insights to our product and business teams.
- Always be raising data quality. That includes auditing sources, documenting issues, driving resolutions together with other teams, and implementing well-documented, performant, and tested transformations.
- Perform ad hoc analyses to better understand customer behavior, needs, and individual test results.
- Summarize data and investigation through the presentation, dashboard, and other mediums.
- Partner with many other teams such as product, engineering teams to provide deep insights about business and product.
- Build and improve analytics infrastructure such as ETL pipeline, A/B testing system, and data visualization systems.
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have at least 2+ years of professional experience with SQL.
- You have at least 2+ years of commercial experience with Python.
- You have used a data flow scheduling system like Airflow.
- You have experience with a business intelligence platform: we use Looker and strongly prefer experience with that platform, but other platforms and an ability to learn can go a long way.
- It will be a plus if you have some experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
- You are comfortable working across teams to deliver analytics solutions and are familiar with common metrics for consumer products.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- You're able to communicate clearly with and about data to technical and non-technical partners.
- You're highly collaborative and experienced in working with business owners, executives, developers, and creatives to discuss data, strategy, and tests.
Curious about who we are and what we work on? Read our blog!
Like all positions at Automattic, you’ll work remotely, and can be based wherever you live. It’s not a requirement that you live in or relocate to New York to do this job. Automattic has more than a dozen full-time global nomads!
How to apply
Does this sound exciting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team.
Please include answers to these questions in your application form:
- Tell us how the Analytics Engineer role fits into an Analytics organization, and how your experience and skills qualify you to play that role.
- Tell us about the time when you used analytics to accelerate business growth. How did you identify the opportunity, what actions did you take and what were the exact results of your contributions?
We’re a distributed company with more than 1600 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.