At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. We’re the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, WordPress VIP, and more. We’re looking for a seasoned Design Talent Manager to help us grow and onboard our world class design team to keep the web free and open.
You’ll join our Designer Experience team — Automattic’s version of Design Operations — in our mission to build an outstanding experience for all designers at Automattic. Reporting to the Director of Designer Experience, you’ll help us keep standards high by working closely with the Experience team, Design recruiters, Design leadership, and the Talent Acquisition division to hire and onboard diverse and talented designers from all over the world.
What you’ll do
- Partner with Automattic’s design leadership team to understand gaps and hiring needs across the organization.
- Through hiring, contribute to building cross-functional, resilient design teams.
- Oversee design hiring to ensure we’re attracting, hiring, and retaining the right talent.
- Collaborate with our design recruiter(s) and other members of Talent Operations to improve processes and candidate experiences.
- Regularly report hiring data, including funnel stats, diversity data, process improvements, and other relevant numbers.
- Design, improve, maintain, and oversee the new designer onboarding experience, ensuring that new designers are shipping and contributing to impactful work.
- Regularly check in with new designers and their leads, gathering feedback and escalating any concerns.
- Collaborate across Automattic on onboarding initiatives.
- Oversee a smooth and thoughtful transition from hiring to onboarding.
What we are looking for
- Flexibility and adaptability to our unique approach to hiring, as well as our constantly evolving priorities and business needs.
- Strong project management skills, with a focus on streamlining processes.
- A collaborative approach towards building alignment with stakeholders.
- A high level of attention to detail and an eye towards crafting outstanding candidate and designer experiences.
- An understanding of how to deeply engage with and improve the working lives of Designers. Experience as a designer is a bonus!
- Experience developing, implementing, and championing practices for increasing diversity in hiring processes.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with remote work (or excitement to try it!).
How we work
We’re a global, distributed workforce in over 70 countries. We value open source, prioritize transparent communication, believe that good ideas can (and do) come from anywhere, so we encourage Automatticians to work together across positions and roles. Together we create, develop, and care for a collection of digital products and services that are committed to democratizing publishing and commerce.
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We have no set hours, or expectation that you’re online from 9 to 5. You create a schedule that allows you to get your best work done.
- We travel sometimes to meet up and work together.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels. Here’s more about what we expect from ourselves.
HOW TO APPLY
If you’d like to apply, fill out our application form below.
We are lucky to receive many applications, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.