Automattic’s experimentation platform squad (ExPlat) is looking for a self-directed backend engineer to help take ExPlat to the next level! You will partner with our resident engineers and data scientists to maintain and enhance a rock-solid platform for running and analyzing experiments, ranging from simple A/B tests to more exotic approaches.
What You’ll Do:
- Help with architecture and product decisions within ExPlat.
- Support internal users through experiment and code reviews.
- Integrate into a multi-functional team of software engineers, data scientists, and data engineers.
Who You Are:
- You have production experience building backend applications with a variety of languages, frameworks, and systems.
- You understand backend challenges around scalability, caching, database load management, and API design.
- You have experience working with PHP or the ability and willingness to pick it up quickly.
- You are familiar with multiple programming languages and paradigms.
- You have experience with test automation at all levels of the test pyramid.
- You are knowledgeable about design patterns, testability, and maintainability.
- You care about code quality and best practices and appreciate robust code review processes.
- You are results-oriented, humble, and have an equal willingness and ability to learn, and teach.
- You have strong interpersonal skills with experience working autonomously in a diverse, cross-functional team.
- You have experience running A/B tests.
- You have WordPress programming experience.
- You have experience working with data and visualization.
- You have at least a basic understanding of machine learning and statistics.
- Most of your workday is between Western US and Western Australia hours.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.