Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and Tumblr is looking for a talented employment and benefits lawyer to work with our HR and Legal teams and help scale our distributed model as we grow.
The Human League (externally known as HR) team’s goal is to ensure our company is the best place Automatticians have ever worked, making each person feel welcomed, included, valued, and respected. In this role you will provide support to the HR team and business teams on HR related matters, including advising on global compensation strategies, managing employment expansion to new geographies, and navigating team relationships with grace and empathy. This is the ideal role for an attorney looking to help an innovative HR team support Automattic through its next phase of growth.
In this role, you will:
- Navigate international laws regarding employment and human resources.
- Structure, negotiate, and draft compensation and termination agreements.
- Advise on standard employment documents and HR policies.
- Support Automattic’s very active M&A team on employment matters.
- Design legal and business processes that enable the team to scale globally, such as standardizing common guidelines, terms and agreements, and educating employees about best practices.
- Advise on the administration of global employee benefits plans.
- Design innovative models for employing Automatticians internationally
- Have a JD from a US accredited law school and 6-10 years’ experience practicing employment law or a related field, at a law firm and/or in-house.
- Are well-versed in issues relevant to our business. Primarily: Structuring and negotiating compensation agreements, establishing and maintaining international employment entities, administering benefits programs, complex termination scenarios, and establishing multinational compensation and benefits programs. Everything at Automattic is done on a global scale and in an international context; bonus points for breadth of experience outside of the US.
- Can recognize legal and ethical risks and have exceptional interpersonal skills to communicate these effectively to colleagues.
- Possess an agile and curious mind. You’re not afraid to ask questions or admit when you are wrong.
- Are business minded and very practical in addressing legal issues. We don’t write a lot of memos at Automattic; we solve problems and get things done.
- Have a healthy sense of humor, and an abiding spirit of idealism about your chosen profession.
- Enjoy a dynamic, fast-growing environment, and prefer to operate very independently.
- Have a passion for elegant, simple, automated solutions that keep operations running smoothly.
- Recognize that law is about the grey areas, and are comfortable living in them, while giving clear and actionable advice.
- Are a great writer, and maybe even have experience using WordPress :)
- Love the open internet and all it stands for.
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please write a cover letter and tell us about a situation in which you streamlined complicated employment laws with creativity.
Also, please make sure to include at least one lawyer joke in the materials you submit.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.